93 Yamaha 2-stroke lower mounts and yoke - Can't get apart

Matt N.GA

Cadet
FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg I'm replacing the mid section on my outboard due to heavy corrosion. Yamaha calls it an upper case. The case does separate from the top plate that connects to the power head so it appeared easy until I started trying to get the lower mounts to separate from the case or lower pivot yoke. The yoke had a lock ring and is at the bottom of the splined steering shaft. I can't get it to break free of the shaft and I cannot get the mounts to otherwise come out of the case. The bolt going through the mount can only back out so far before running out of room in the mount area. Any ideas? Could cut and replace the bolts but that has me wondering how I will get it back together. FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Matt N.GA

Cadet
Will add a couple of things. The mounts will rotate when pried but will only pull sideways about a 1/4",,not enough to slide the bolt out. Also, it is a 70 hp.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Cut the bolts.---------That will make it all easier.--------It will also make it obvious how it will go back together.

Capt Ken

Commander
You are going about it all wrong. Remove the power head and adapter plate. The exhaust housing has to come out. The upper housing is the last part when you disassemble everything.

Matt N.GA

Cadet
You are going about it all wrong. Remove the power head and adapter plate. The exhaust housing has to come out. The upper housing is the last part when you disassemble everything.

Well that's what I thought at first Ken but my exhaust housing has no damage and the upper case does separate from it. The used case that I bought came with the housing and I easily separated them so figured the same would happen here. You can see where I've got the two separated at the seam but the case won't drop down because of the mounts that are stuck. Gonna cut the bolts and see what happens.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Well that's what I thought at first Ken but my exhaust housing has no damage and the upper case does separate from it. The used case that I bought came with the housing and I easily separated them so figured the same would happen here. You can see where I've got the two separated at the seam but the case won't drop down because of the mounts that are stuck. Gonna cut the bolts and see what happens.

So you come here asking for advice and when you get the correct answer, you disregard it and are going to do it the wrong way anyways.

Why did you even ask?