2006 yamaha 115 four stroke stiff shifting...

bitesomthing

Cadet
Hello all and thanks in advance.
i have a 2006 yamaha 115 hp four stroke with 200 hours on it. Motor runs flawlessly until now. Boat had 200 hour service done,i then took boat out for about a 2 hour run time trip and then parked boat for 2 weeks. Getting ready for my last trip i bumped the shifter and noticed when shifted into forward while motor off, it was very very stiff.( i would stop because i didn't want to break something), when shifted into reverse it was fine and smooth. i checked the linkage and shift cables thinking they were sticky or kinked, they were not. I then removed the shift cable from the shift arm in motor and the shift lever (throttle)shifted smooth forward and reverse. I then placed cable back onto shift lever in motor and shift lever was stiff again. I then used the key and quickly(bumped) started and shut down motor less than a second(i'm aware of water impeller), I then tried to shift and it was smooth like normal. I let boat sit over night and checked shifter before i headed out on my trip next morning, Shifter was stiff again, this time forward and reverse were stiff. I bumped motor again and things were all good. took boat out fishing and it shifts perfect as long as motor is running, once i shut down motor the shifter wont go into either forward or reverse with out a lot of resistance. When i got home from trip i looked at shifting mechanism in motor again. Took shift cable off of where it attaches to motor shift lever and tried to shift it by hand. It was very hard to move shift mechanism in motor unless i rotated prop. When i would move pro either direction it would shift into gear smoothly and with ease.
Motor runs great while running does not slip out of gear or does not have any other symptoms (no sounds, Nothing).
2 questions:
1. Could anything that was done in a service cause this type of thing?

2. In my simple mind i am thinking this would be the Clutch Dog acting up. Whats your guess?

Thank You Chris
17.5 Proline CC.

robert graham

Admiral
Have you checked/adjusted your remote control throttle friction screw on front of unit?......Also, I'd expect my motor to shift easier and smoother with the motor running...probably better for the gearbox since things are moving. Maybe drain and inspect lower unit oil for possible contamination/corrosion/etc....