All 6 plugs get no spark

CCarl

Cadet
2003 Yamaha 150 HP OX66: Is there a single source of power that supplies voltage to all 6 coils at the same time? I have no spark to any of the spark plugs. The engine spins strong but doesn't start. I can hear the fuel pump pressurize when the key is on, and then after some attempts to start, the smell of gas is present. I checked the lanyard circuit, the ign switch circuit, the batteries are new, I checked and cleaned all ground connections, or at least any I could find. This happened out of the clear. It has to be something common to all 6 coils. The motor ran fine for the past 12 years - this is the first problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:Welcome: CCarl. Nice for you to join us...

Well it would seem obvious that all six plugs didn't go bad at the exact same time. So I would be looking into the ignition module or power pack that feeds those cylinders. That is the one thing common to all spark plugs. If you have correct voltages going into the ignition module and nothing coming out...bingo!

CCarl

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome and for the input, gm280. Okay then- makes sense. Where do I measure the input voltage? And the correct voltage is 12vdc, right? Thanks again.

CCarl

Cadet
I was hoping someone with a new suggestion read this thread. Anyone?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
CCarl, I have to say that I have never ever worked on any Yamaha OB engine of any size ever and therefore can't even make a suggestion as to what is used for the ignition module. But I will say that the ignition would be my starting point. What goes to the spark coils to fire them? I would look for a factory shop manual for your engine and read it and go from there to test everything. Factory shop manuals are extremely great for troubleshooting most any problem. Maybe others will chime in that have direct knowledge about your engine...

CCarl

Cadet
Thanks, gm280. I do have a shop manual (Selog) but have a hard time following it at times. I just gottta keep on pluggin away at this. I'll post when I find out what it is- hopefully someone might benefit from this in the future.

CCarl

Cadet
I disconnected the 10 pt plug and jumped out the starter and still no spark, so I figure the problem is on the motor side. Someone is coming next week to verify that and to do what it takes to get this thing on the water. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

CCarl

Cadet
I disconnected the 10 pt plug and jumped out the starter and still no spark, so I figure the problem is on the motor side. Someone is coming next week to verify that and to do what it takes to get this thing on the water. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

CCarl

Cadet

CCarl

Cadet

CCarl

Cadet
I would first start with a test light to check the codes.
Thanks, but I am not familiar with doing that myself, unless it's easier than I suspect. I'm sure he will do that prior to replacing anything. He comes personally recommended by two separate sources who have good things to say about him and his work. And to mention, he spent about a half-hour offering suggestions on narrowing the problem(s) down. Believe me, I don't want to waste money, but I have exhausted my potential trying to get this running. Wish me luck.

CCarl

Cadet
2 hours and he's STILL unsure ???? WTF

I had a Yamaha tech come by and check the motor and after 2 hours he thinks the stator is bad because the spark is weak - (yes, I know I said I had no spark, but he tested and found spark). He says the next check is with a HVA (high voltage adaptor). He'll be back with the adaptor and a stator.

I mean, really? WTF is what I have to say- again. This guy is certified by Yamaha ?... I'd like to know what does one have to do to get certified? Not very impressed.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Not much
but what all is he certified to do?
Lots of training on all the different systems.
it is always best to take it to a Yamaha shop that has a master tech employed.

Testing the inputs and out puts should not take 2 hours

paulywally

Seaman Apprentice
Could have done all this yourself if you know a little bit. Check out a website called cdi electronics. They have an awesome ignition troubleshooting manual that I actually purchased the hard copy because I used the Internet version so much. But if you need parts buy them from iboats.com. Much better quality.

CCarl

Cadet
The stator was changed out and it started right up.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Here's to happy boating.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW CCarl, I'm seriously glad you found your problem and it is fixed. And I would like to thank you for coming back on here and posting your fix so others can read it if they have the same problems. That is what makes this forum a great source of info. Too bad we could have solved your problem, but some times we need more info and pictures to help folks out... Again thanks and safe boating... :thumb: