07 Yamaha F150TXR engine stall, no crank or power to trim

I have a Yamaha F150TXR with a build date of 11/06. I assume it's classified as a 2007. My problem started at the end of last year. The motor started right up and worked fine until it died out. I put it in neutral to restart it, and nothing. No crank, nothing, dead silence when turning the key. I noticed the trim on the shifter handle didn't work either. I checked to make sure the kill switch was still plugged it, all good there. After sitting for 5 to 10 minutes, I turned the key, the motor started right up. The motor worked fine, but 20 minutes later, same thing. Motor died, no crank or trim power.

Over this past winter I replaced the plugs, water separator, engine oil and lower end gear oil. Just yesterday 4/11/25 I took the boat for its first journey of the year. Boat started up, ran perfect for a 15-20 minute ride (various speeds). After making a long drift, I went to start up the motor, and nothing. No crank or power to the trim. I thought maybe my cranking battery was bad, so I swapped it out for a brand new deep cycle while on the water. Still no crank or power to the trim. My boat is set up with a 8hp Yamaha kicker wired to the same cranking battery. I tried that motor, it fired right up. Go figure. After a long slow ride using the kicker motor (15 minutes) I tried to trim up the big motor, it worked, so of course the big motor started up.

What might be causing the 150HP to stall out and not restart? The motor acts as if there's no power going or coming from the ignition switch, however, the trim doesn't work either while this is happening. I checked the fuses and wiring. I'm looking for any help.

Thanks,
Eric

robert graham

Admiral
It sounds like a classic case of poor/corroded battery cable/connections....remove/inspect/clean/grease/re-tighten all battery connections and cables on the starter....or it can be internal corrosion on the insides of the battery cables themselves...requiring replacements. The humid marine environment causes corrosion on these connections on a boat....on a car it's hot and dry enough in the engine compartment to pretty well prevent corrosion...

Rob, I appreciate the feedback. I looked over the cables and everything was tight and clean. Is there anyway of testing the cables to see if they're good, or would you recommend replacing them? The boat has been stored inside my garage since new, so the overall condition of the motor is tip top.