1995 Yamaha 225 TXRT Hard start "cold"

newellchunker

Seaman
I've just bought a boat that has sat for at least 10 years and have gone through and removed and cleaned the carbs, installed new carb kits, new water pump kit and replaced the fuel lines. I can ONLY start it IF I shoot some ether into the airbox, after that she starts right up. Suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Ist thing is do not use starting fluid to start a 2 stroke, no oil in that and no oil is bad for the motor.

Have you followed the proper starting procedure for your motor?
Owners manual will have that in there.

A motor that sat for 10 years could have major problems if some of the internal shiny parts ended up with rust on them, so be aware of this and watch for them

scoflaw

Ensign
That engine has an electric choke, are you pushing the key in when cold starting?

robert graham

Admiral
Sometimes my C90 likes a few pumps of the primer bulb for cold starts.....but not always....might be worth a try....

newellchunker

Seaman
It doesn't have the push to choke key set up.....always pump the primer bulb til firm and still no dice. It has a toggle switch under the key switch and I've activated it and still nothing. Is there a "primer" pump or something that acts as a choke. And yes, I've heard no starter fluid.....any other ideas.....

scoflaw

Ensign
Should be a choke knob just below the cowling facing forward, primer bulb isn't a choke

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pull the cowling and air box(silencer)
and inspect choke operation to make sure they close properly when hitting the switch

scoflaw

Ensign
go to yamahaoutboards.com. hit button for parts lookup, find your model, look at the blowup, breakdown of your engine

They also have a very good customer service tech line you can call

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
nope that is a motor that the ECU controls the enriching of the fuel cold and accelerating conditions.

Need to find someone that knows about the system to troubleshoot.
Find a Yamaha shop with a master tech
anyway that is my input at this time

newellchunker

Seaman
I spoke with a master tech today and he said that he believes that the pump could be clogged like the carbs were. That is to say I told him about the condition that the carbs were in when I removed them and the amount of dried varnish that were in the bowls. He stated that it was likely that the pump was just as clogged and he recommended that I boil some water and add some simple green de-greaser and see if that removed the varnish. I was able to check and there was power going to the pump, however it is not running..........

newellchunker

Seaman
Ok, well that didn't work, did get some crud out of the pump upon soaking it, however when I hooked it back up and powered on the key I heard very faint noise of the pump running. I used some fuel hose attached to the pump nipple and poured a small amount of fuel in the hose and no dice...it's not pumping the fuel thru the pump. Guess it's time to replace the pump and go from there

frankjohnson

Cadet
After you get the enrichment pump running, make sure your manual enrichment valve is closed. Turn ignition key on and the pump should run at all times keeping about 5 lbs of pressure on the enrichment system. The fuel line inlets for the enrighment system has filter screens in them if fuel still not getting through you may have to remove enrichment solenoids and blow air in to push trash out. Beware there are o-rings in the carb at the solinoid tip, if you loose one the enrichment pump will push the fuel past the solinoid and cause flooding. Also make sure your relief vakve is keeping about 5 lbs of pressure on the enrichment fuel lines, it maybe clogged letting pressure bypass. On a cold start you should see about 4 volts going to the solinoids while starting. Make sure the solinoids are opening to allow fuel into carb. The pump draws from carb #6 then to each solinoid then a pressure relief, teed off that is a line going to the manual enrichment valve that feeds into the lower fuel pump. The manual valve can be used for cold start when the enrichment system fails but will only work if the enrichment electrical pump is working, once engine starts the manual valve must be closed. For the engine to fully function properly the enrichment system needs to function as it aids in run funtions as well as cold start as the ecm dictates.

Last edited:

frankjohnson

Cadet
Your welcome, I spent 3 months getting mine fixed after two master Yamaha technicians fubared my carbs because they were not familiar with the 95 V76 engine. Purchasing a service manual is helpfull but it barely covers the enrichment system. Very helpfull with other componets. I suggest getting one if you plan to keep the motor, fantastic motors when running correctly. Good luck.

scoflaw

Ensign
Gents, there is NO choke solenoid/ carb butterflys on any of these carbs.....

No carb butterflys? really? What do you think your throttle cable is attached to? ECM on a 2 stroke carb motor? Really? CDI yes. ECM no.

Let us know if you ever get it figured out