2005 Yamaha vmaxx 150 compression question

emtkess

Cadet
I have a 2005 vmaxx 150 and had a mechanic check the motor out yesterday. He did a compression test on the cylinders and they all tested between 110 and 113 psi. He said he was concerned. Can someone here fill me in on what is acceptable? Please any help is appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral
All cylinders should be within 10% of each other is the generally accepted rule of thumb....sounds like you don't have a compression problem....maybe another issue?....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
maybe the mechanic was in need of some work

did he say what he was concerned about?
Was this a Yamaha shop?

emtkess

Cadet
It was a diagnostic checkup. Found the impellor to be bad. It wasn't pissing when he checked the motor. But 3 weeks before when i ran it it was pissing. The impellor and housing were melted. New parts installed tomorrow. Hopefully it starts pissing and then just new plugs and tuneup.

emtkess

Cadet
When he ran it and noticed it wasn't pussing he let it run a few minutes. Then said the cylinders got warm. Im thinking duh because they had no water to cool it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
no water out of tell tail means pump not pumping or something is plugged up, or not hooked up properly for testing..
I am just not the trusting kind of guy when someone is trying to blow smoke up my azz
Need to make sure you find someone to trust working on your motor

Hopefully he did not run it over and idle if on muffs

emtkess

Cadet
Ok so the mechanic installed new water pump/impellor this morning and couldn't get water to flow to the motor. He swears the head gaskets are bad. Well i decided to see if something was blocking the flow. I used an air compressor and blew into the pee tube. And now it pisses like a champ. Mechanic still says the head gasket is bad. I dont know what to do!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
is there water or pressure coming out of the gaskets some where you can see, or water getting into the cylinders??
Why is he saying the head gaskets are bad?

Capt Ken

Commander
Run as far and fast from this mechanic. He is a con artist and nothing is wrong with your engine.

emtkess

Cadet
Thanks for all the info guys. I did receive a 2nd opinion. Each cylinder actually tested at 120 PSI. There is nothing wrong with my motor. New plugs and and now new impeller. Def was about to be taken for a fool. There are zero signs of any water getting into the cylinders.