2003 Suzuki 225 getting water in the cowling

jpggpj

Recruit
After running my motor at high speeds, I noticed I was getting water built up in my cowling. It drains immediately after backing off and only seems to start to build up while running over 4,000 rpms. I brought it to my mechanic and he said there was a drain hole at the rear of the motor. Had to remove a plastic cover on the inside of the motor to see it. Anyhow, he felt it was somehow backing up from there. It originally ran down the inside of the motor and out the bottom by the prop. He re-routed it because he thought it was seeing water pressure while on plane. Anyhow, it still is coming in and this time I was able to see it while riding that it is in fact coming from that drain hole. Is this drain hole only for safety purposed if a cooling hose was to bust and allow that water to drain out? I'm thinking about just plugging this hole. It also appears that this may have been happening for years as my motor on the inside is showing signs of corrosion. I've always had the corrosion and found it odd but just never knew water was getting in there. The only reason I found out is while running I started to hit mud so I quickly trimmed up my motor and noticed water coming out of the port where the wiring went in. All that being said, anyone know if I can or cannot plug this drain hole or has anyone heard of water backing up through this drain line before? Thanks.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only time ive seen water back up that badly is when a hose has come off. If you have a service manual id pull up the hose routing schematic an make sure they are all plugged up correctly and in good condition. Also if there is a water pressure gauge pickup make sure that it is properly connected.

jpggpj

Recruit
Gotcha but this hose appears to be nothing more than a drain hose. It runs from the upper cowling housing down to the bottom of the motor by the sacrificial anode. I guess if an external cooling hose in the motor housing was to break off then this drain would be how the water is supposed to drain out. I looked at a drawing and best I can tell is that there is no place for water to come into the hose other than the hole that it drains out of at the bottom of the motor. I don't have a water pressure gauge but my mechanic said that I have plenty of pressure. I stated that my mechanic re-routed the hose but I misunderstood what he said. He disconnected the plastic piece that attaches it to the drain hole at the bottom of the motor. Basically making the hose shorter from the drain hole at the top to the drain exti at the bottom. But it is still routed the same way. I'm gonna take another look at the whole set up though like you suggested and see if I or my mechanic missed something before I plug this thing. Thanks.