Trim gauge install

tnq5546

Cadet
How difficult is it to install a trim gauge on a 2008 yamaha 2 stroke outboard.

tnq5546

Cadet
Yes I know this mighty bright one. Just wanted to know if it is something I should have done, or simple enough to do my awlf

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Basic information is always good to post when asking questions on forums.

seeing that we have no idea what boat and motor you have , what skill level you have, what tools you have , what tach you plan on installing, and what you will have to cut through in the dash, it is not an easy task to answer your simple question.
There are tach kits available for your motor I am sure that come with the harnesses needed to install it, but we have no idea if your motor has a working trim sending unit to hook it all up to

Last edited:

tnq5546

Cadet
Trim gauge. The boat is a 2009 Aluminacraft C 165, and the console has a spot for an additional gauge. The motor is a 2008 two stroke 50 hp Yamaha. I have done some fabricating, so mounting of the gauge is not an issue. Basically I am trying to find out where the gauge would connection, so I could check it out. If it works then install.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Not sure on a 2008 50, but on my 1999 40 the trim sender is on a spring loaded lever on the mounting bracket and has a wire running from it up into the lower cowling and is dead ended there. Would need a harness from motor to gauge
If yours is like that also, you would need to hook into that wiring

Sorry in the other post I slipped up and was talking about a Tach instead of trim

Last edited:

tnq5546

Cadet
No problem. I will look for that wire and see about getting the wiring harness. Thanks for the info

bryanzzz

Seaman
Good luck with install, I called my dealer and he quoted less than 100 buck for labor and gauge, 2014 Yamaha 90hp on an Xpress aluminum boat. As fate would have dealer spent 2.5 hours on install before they realized gauge was defected...mechanic may have shortened it out. With wiring complete and dash drilled they sent me home, dealer mailed me a gauge and I finished install a few days later...only charged me $40. Lets us know how your install went.