My Yammie died

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
After long and faithful service, my year 2000 150 VMAX died. I have a dime-sized hole in the block so now I'm exploring my options.

As I see it I can:

Buy a new motor
Buy a used motor
Get mine repaired

Starting with the latter, how much can I expect to pay for a powerhead replacement for my Yamaha? I have one estimate from around here but I thought it was way more than the motor is worth.

Thanks!
Brad

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
unless you are going to do the work yourself the cost to repair is going to be real high just because labor rates are high everywhere but are a little different in different part of the world or country.
The cost of a new or rebuilt block is going to be high also.

Have you checked on the price of a new motor yet?

Or a used motor that you hope will be a good one?

with all of this gathered up information you will get to decide how much you are willing to spend and what risk you are ready to take on used

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I've priced new ones and some used ones. At first I was not really looking to fix mine. The first estimate was close to $6000. If I remember, the book value on mine running was about $3000-$4000 or so. Now I have an offer of $4000 now for repairs and I thought that was reasonable. I may not mind spending that much if I have to as I really liked this motor. I was just wondering how much one could reasonably expect to pay for this type of repair.

I could certainly do the job myself. I'm not really interested in doing that right now though. Still an option for later maybe.

Thanks for your input!
Brad

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
It all depends on what all has to be replaced.
total tear down is needed to find that out and then figure out caused it to happen and fix that.

What all was the 6K estimate for and what was the 4K for.?

Could be totally different from each other

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander
The $4000 sounds about right on what you described. Blocks can be welded up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well. " a dime sized hole " is very vague.--Need to find out if it was from major failure of a rod. A piece that jammed between the rod and the block and popped a hole in there is also possible.----Take it apart before estimating cost.

Capt Ken

Commander
Common to pop a hole in the journal area. Piston has pretty well melted and a metal piece gets stuck between the rod and case, thus popping the case. I've seen the cranks still be good afterward but then I've had to order reman cranks.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks to you all for your replies. I know the description of the damage was kind of vague but the visual damage is all I had at the time. Until I decided which way to go with either repair or replacement I was not going to have it tore apart.

I have decided to go ahead and have mine rebuilt. I should have an idea about the cause and will post here later. Meanwhile I have a couple of pictures that show the damage and where it is located.

Thanks again!
Brad

Attachments

• photo217636.jpg
    photo217636.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217637.jpg
    photo217637.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0