Lower unit leaking

explorer132

Recruit
I have a 2003 90 horse 2 stroke outboard. I recently change the lower unit oil. When I tipped the motor up, a small amount of oitl began to leak from the front of the shaft where the lower unit bolts on. It is coming from a small notch on the shaft. Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced or are my problems worse than that? When I drained the lower unit, it did not have any water in it.

DangarStu

Cadet
I'm not exactly sure where you are referring to with your leak. There is a small notch in the driveshaft where the woodruff key goes to lock the impeller onto the shaft, the oil seal is below that. There is also an oil seal around the gear shifter and the prop shaft. If you are interested, here is a video I recorded on pressure testing the gearbox to find oil leaks. It may be of help to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzn-nshSlwk

Stuart

explorer132

Recruit
Thanks, I will take a look at the video tonight. The notch I am referring to is where I believe the woodruff key goes. That is where the oil is leaking from.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A woodruff key would drive the impeller.----The leak may be normal and only a pressure test will determine if there is a seal leak on the gearcase !