1986 Yamaha 115 V4 Looses power at full throttle

johntking1981

Recruit
I have a 1986 115hp V4 Yamaha and when I take it out on the water it will idle fine and when I put throttle to it the boat comes on plane and then the motor looses power. It sounds to me like it floods. I changed the spark plugs and put 15gal of new gas in inboard tank, Carburetor is new so I do not suspect it. I went to check compression and was very upset. The motor had not been run (it was cold) and I disconnected all the spark plugs, installed my compression gauge and turned it over about 4-8 times. I got the following data. 60# 90# 60# 55#. I am not sure if I messed up the test or need to go look for a new motor. Seems to me it would be the piston rings, pistons, or really bad blown head gasket. Any thoughts on this would be awesome.

Capt Ken

Commander
Rebuild your fuel pump. Run a heavy dose of ring free thru it and de carbon it

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
try a different gauge to see if your other one was not reading properly

Putting new carbs on and adding gas to the tank does not mean you did not get a bunch of crud into the carbs from tank, lines, pump, etc. when you fired it up

johntking1981

Recruit
I think I will get it running and warm up the engine and reperform the compression test.

Second, what do yall think about running some seafoam threw it from a separate gas tank? It may clean it out.

robert graham

Admiral
A wide open throttle issue like you describe makes me think of a fuel flow/restriction/venting problem.....check fuel pump, filters, fuel lines and especially fuel tank venting....I'm doubting it's a compression problem since you mentioned it "comes on plane"......maybe consider installing a fuel/water separator type filter to help prevent plugged carb jets in the future