1984 suzuki DT55

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok guys I got to say I have never had a outboard turn me upside down the way this one has, its a 1984 Suzuki dt55 it was stored for almost 8 yrs, I have taken the carbs apart, ultra sonic cleaned them, rebuilt them, rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced fuellines, and filters, the motor has great compression, getting good spark, it will start up first turn with a small amount of choke when its cold, idles great, you get it past 1/3 throttle starts dieing, everything screams fuel delivery problem, but there is just no way it can be, Im at a complete loss anybody have any idea

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
fuel pressure and vacuum can be checked with proper equipment
and look for air getting into system

have a look at the frequent asked questions section of forum

A different tank with fresh fuel could rule out some things

Not sure what you mean by starts dieing

Last edited:

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the tank swap and line swap I swear I've never had one make a idiot out of me the way this motor has

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
First year of the DT55 was 85, what's the serial #? Were your symptoms on the water under load or on a hose with no load?

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry ment 1985 don't know what I was thinking. It was in the water under load

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, turned out to be the low oil warning unit which controls the alarms on that motor. Suzuki came out with a Band-Aid for the 1985 that now includes an inline resistor with the replacement unit.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
better picture and cheaper from England but the shipping makes it about the same

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a dt65. From 1990 with a bad power head I wonder would that one work

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
The connectors changed after 87 and the unit was eventually integrated into the CDI, I'm pretty sure the units pictured are the only ones that will work with the 85. If you are near St Louis we could swap mine in to test it.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Story of my life I should have known it would work, I'm in Alabama I sure do thank you though

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I am thinking Zuks used a water level switch in block to make sure it was filled up tied to overheat alarm and an oil flow switch to warn of no oil flow

Have you tested all of the switches?
Do you have gauges that say if an alarm comes in?
doe you alarm system work?
once again
You said it starts dieing, what does that mean?
Looses RPM. limits RPM, or does it die?

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
no I don't have any gauges, not sure on the alarm, the oiling system had been removed when I got the motor, so it only runs mix gas now. This may be a stupid question but could I take the power head off of the 55 and put it on the 65 with all the 65 parts

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
The warning system on the 85 is primitive. It only tells you when there is no oil in the tank, water isn't 2/3 of the way up in the powerhead, and when the rpms exceed 5900. Since the oil system has already been removed, if it were my 30 year old motor, I would remove the warning unit, put in a new waterpump and go fishing.

I have swapped an 85 into a 91 with a few modifications, send me a PM if you want to pursue that project.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sure will I've got some deck and transom work to keep me busy for a bit. I'll send you a pm when I start on the motor Thankyou