carburetor rebuil

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
This question goes against what I would normally do but funds are a little low right now. why do I need to buy a carb rebuild kit, why cant I just take the carb apart and clean it real good and reassemble?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can...maybe! It all depends on a few things. First how the carb disassembles with out the gaskets tearing apart. And secondly if there are not any serious damage to the needle and seat. I've certainly done that many times but never on an outboard or car engine. Just some little 2 cycle lawn equipment.

Capt Ken

Commander
Assuming being it in this forum, Yamaha? Depending on model it has either o rings or rubber gaskets so reusing is a possibility. But you really need a pressure checker to pressurize the needle and seat before reinstalling.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
it would be good info if you posted what motor you are dealing with when you post a problem.

Some like my Yamaha C40 TLRX use o ring type of seals between parts not gasket material and can be reused most of the time

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
you are all correct, it was pretty stupid of me. I have a 1996 yamaha 115

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
what makes you think it is a 1996?
model # is the best way to post what you have.
Some people think because the motor was manufactured in a specific year that is the model year and that is not always the case.
My C40TLRX was made in 1998 but it is a 1999 model