How long will a 200 hdpi idle with low compression in 1 cylinder?

Bart Hawk

Cadet
Got low compression in the portside bottom cylinder. (55psi).

While I save up money (1 month)for a new powerplant or powerhead I was wondering if there is any life to be had with what I have?

The boat is in a desirable wet slip with tons to do within 1 mile of calm intercoastal water.

It's an 2001 200 HDPI with 400 hrs and a score in the cylinder wall, with no noticeable knocking of any kind. (Motor starts right up and runs great, i think I idled it 4 miles with same condition possibly more.)

I know the yamaha's drop a cylinder at idle but not sure if at idle in gear, my thoughts were to unplug the effected plug wire and keep her slow.

Anyone had any experience getting a little extra life out of these?

(i have seatow, a trolling motor and a kicker option if I choose to install it.)

I know it will blow eventually and I'll probably repower as I'm not a fan of 2001-2007 Yamaha's right now so I'm not concerned about the core powerhead value.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's impossible to do anything but guess. Some where from 5 minutes to forever. So it may last the month. :noidea:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are many motors out there running for years like this and it's unknown to the owner.

Kind of depends on the reason for the scoring though, I had a piston ring locating pin back out one time, had I noticed something was odd in the beginning it would have just scored the cylinder wall, But it backed out all the way, broke the piston and rings, destroyed the head and did other damage, so I just scrapped the motor.