Oil Mix for a 2000 C60TLR

G3Boats

Cadet
I bought a low hours Yamaha 2000 C60TLR and know the oil mix is 50:1, but how many oz of oil per gallon is 50:1 for this engine I am told each manufacturer has a different mix of oz per gallon to get 50:1 for their engines.? I bought an oil mix bottle, but stupidly did not read the data on it and it is for Merc and Johnson and not Yamaha. Thanks for the help.

robert graham

Admiral
It's just not all that particular, but 2.6 ounces of oil per gallon of fuel will give you the 50:1 ratio.....I use 16 ounces in a 6 gallon can...close enough!

G3Boats

Cadet
I thank you so much. I found some ratios, and it was a percentage of quarts for a variety of gallons. After messing with my limited math for a very long time, I finally came up with 2.56 to 6 ounces, depending on the calculator, and needed confirmation that I was not way out in left field. The guy who had used the motor has been using 19 ounces of oil for 5 gallons the whole time he had the motor, but did use Ring Free. I guess too much oil all this time cannot do much damage, but what do I know. Should I, with the new formula, just add more Ring Free for awhile? From here on I will be using 13 ounces per 5 gallons.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not see how it can be different ratios for different brands of motors, as 50 to 1 is just 50 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil.

Your mixing bottle has a chart for 50 to 1 , just put oil in it up to the line that has the correct gallons of gas you are adding it to

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... I am told each manufacturer has a different mix of oz per gallon to get 50:1 for their engines.....

Unless each manufacturer is using a different system of oz to gallons, this is 'horse-hockey'!!!

However, that said, there are 4 different units to consider here. US gallons, UK gallons, US ounces and UK ounces....

Simply, 1 US gallon (I'll use US gallons since you're probably in the US) is 128 us oz... That's a constant, doesn't change, regardless of the manufacturer. So, for 1 US gallon of petrol, you add 128/50 us oz of oil... That's 2.56, close enough to 2-1/2..... If you have a Jap engine, they may be using proper gallons and ozs... In which case one standard gallon is 160 standard ounces, so your 50:1 ratio would require 3.2 ounces of oil to each gallon of petrol....

So, choose your units of measure carefully...

Chris.....