Yamaha 55 problems...

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone,

so I'm looking at repowering my ssv151 with a smaller ob as on the rivers i can't use the power.

For economy cost and reliaility i am looking at 80s/90s yamaha 55/60 2 cylinder.

Firstly is there much difference performance wise?

secimndly i can only find 3 and each as a problem and i am trying to work out if they are write off or worth buying to fix...

firstly I've found one 55 and one 60 with the same problem... only sparking on one cylinder... both owners say they have tried swapping he coil and not the issue and there is good compression.. is this common and expensive to fix?

the other is a 55 and runs fine when going but it costs out when idling... any ideas on a problem like this?

apologies for vagueness ... cheers

robert graham

Admiral
If you know the compression is good on all cylinders AND the price reflects a "not running motor", then an electrical/spark problem could be fairly easy/inexpensive to fix....but for myself I'd greatly prefer a running motor so a comprehensive sea trial can be run on the motor to prove it's running abilities...

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Robert - and how about the one that runs fine except idle? I can give that a good run for a trial but I will know it will cut out at idle is that likely an expensive fix?

robert graham

Admiral
The rough idle could well be just a dirty or poorly adjusted carburetor and a fairly easy/cheap fix....as long as the compression readings are O.K....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
You are rolling the dice when buying a motor that does not run properly
I look at it like this ,
If it was a simple fix then they would have fixed it and be selling it as a good running motor to get more money for it
Or they know nothing about these motors and are not capable of troubleshooting and fixing it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are capable, use the fact that they are broken to get a good deal if you decide to take one. Knowing that one could be nothing more then a carb rebuild (or two) and the other two could be an ignition module. But you never really know until you do some investigation...