Did I goof?? Wrong oil??

ADWilliams

Recruit
Hi everyone. New guy here. I really hope I didn't goof up here. I had trouble finding 10w40 FC-W oil for my Yamaha F80 4 stroke so I bought some Quicksilver 25w-40 at WallyWorld. Ok to run or no..?? Not the end of the world if I have to drain it and find 10w40.

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
I'd drain it and find the correct oil....that 20-50 wt. would sound a bit heavy for your motor...

alldodge

Staff member
Hi everyone. New guy here. I really hope I didn't goof up here. I had trouble finding 10w40 FC-W oil for my Yamaha F80 4 stroke so I bought some Quicksilver 25w-40 at WallyWorld. Ok to run or no..?? Not the end of the world if I have to drain it and find 10w40.

Thanks

:welcome: to iboats

The Merc 25W-40 is FC-W approved and agree with RG above. Your manufacture wants you to use 10W40 of easier lubrication during cold startups.
https://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Where are you? If it's a cold area, change it. If it's warm then you shouldn't have any problems. The weight difference is only while the engine is cold. Once the engine's warm the weight of the oil will assume the top end number, 40 in both cases.

Chris........

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
True story right there. First number always represents the cold viscosity, the second is operating temp. Then again, using what the manufacturer suggests may just trump all.:witless:

ADWilliams

Recruit
Thanks guys. Im in San Diego. I dont fish a whole lot in the winter. When I do the temps can be in the lower 40's. Rest of the year its above 55 or so.

ADWilliams

Recruit
eh...I'm just gonna change it. The little bit left in the oil filter shouldn't matter right? It's new as well. Just drain it and refill? Thanks

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sure. Sometimes a piece of mind is worth way more that a couple quarts of oil.:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My 90HP Mercury outboard has an engine that is actually manufactured by Yamaha. Guess what oil is recommended? Yep...25w-40

I would just leave it.

Last edited: