removing powerhead on a yamaha pro 50

bigal1346

Recruit
I have an 89 yamaha pro 50 with a bad head gasket. I have worked on race engines a lot but the one thing that I cannot figure out how to separate the powerhead from the outboard. I removed the bolts from the bottom of the lower cowling but I am unable to lift out the powerhead. Any ideas?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
just to do some prying without damaging something.
the gasket sticks things together

hopefully you pulled off most of the stuff so you can get a pry bar down into the lower parts to pry

If all you are trying to do is the head gasket, you might want to try to do that without pulling the whole power head.

Good luck with getting all the head bolts out without breaking one

Last edited:

bigal1346

Recruit
I actually watched that video before starting. I feel like it should be about the same as the F50. Those 12 bolts at the end of video are the ones that I removed and nothing else is connected to the bottom cowling but it just won't lift out. I heard of stuck gaskets but do you think that it could be that stuck?

DangarStu

Cadet
I'm trying to think back now. Is the leg of the outboard off? It might be a driveshaft issue too if not. It's hard to imagine there being enough corrosion in the shaft to cause that much resistance though. If you pry it from an edge does it look like it lifts at all anywhere? I'm very close to putting that powerhead back on - maybe even this weekend so I'll take a look when I do and see if I can think of anything else.

Stuart