2004 115 Yamaha 4 stroke flooding out

I posted about this a year or so back. Unfortunately work takes up most of my time to do ANYTHING. And the engine has been sitting up. I finally got a little time. Let me start from the beginning:
2004 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I had run this boat a week before about 25 miles or so with no hitches. The following week I launched it, went to crank it up, it started for a bout 30 sec.then died. I atempted to crank on it. Nothing...I lifted the motor and a bout a half to a full cup of gas poored out. I let it set and tried to crank it again. it fired up then died. I lifted the motor again and a cup of gas pored out. So I loaded it up. I thought an injector was stuck open or something. So I cleaned the entire fuel system lines. from the big filter, to the water separator, to the fuel cooler, vapor separator, float, fuel pump, all the lines. Basically from the gas tank to the injectors.
Put it all back together, pressurized the fuel system (last week,) ..........same thing. So im guessing...and this is guessing, that it is one of many things,
1. fuel bypass check valve?
2. stuck injector? (But they are clicking so im assuming they are working, did not check resistance)
3. temp sensors???? WTS TPS or ETS....depending on who you talk to for the correct name. Air temp sensor or the water temp sensor. The water temp sensor provides essential info during cold start and warm ups. With the flooding Im wondering if this is the culprit.
4. AIP/MAP???
Im just looking for some help narrowing this down without having to buy parts to find out and get to the problem. I do have a SELOC 1705 but its not a trouble shooter. Its a repair manual.
Any..and I mean any help, suggestions, heck sarcasm for that matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Respectfully,
FerrellRooster

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on how the fuel injectors are made, a clicking injector doesn't mean it isn't stuck open... You could remove each one and see if it is stuck open...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A stuck injector would not allow a cup of fuel to drain from the engine in just a short start. It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator has a ruptured diaphragm which allows fuel to be sucked directly into the engine without going through the injectors. Any of the sensors would not likely make the engine run so rich that it kills it and dumps that much fuel.

Depending on how the fuel injectors are made, a clicking injector doesn't mean it isn't stuck open... You could remove each one and see if it is stuck open...

I dont know how to check for that. I did take them off. Cleaned them but I couldnt tell the difference if they were open or shut. thanks

No Title

A stuck injector would not allow a cup of fuel to drain from the engine in just a short start. It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator has a ruptured diaphragm which allows fuel to be sucked directly into the engine without going through the injectors. Any of the sensors would not likely make the engine run so rich that it kills it and dumps that much fuel.

I attached a photo out of the manual with a pen pointing to the regulator. Just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same part before I take it off thats all because even though Yamaha and Mercury are the same on the larger 4 strokes up to 04 they use different technical names for the parts. Plus Im just a parts changer not a mech. Although I have and do most all my mechanic work on vehicles, lawn mowers weed eaters, 4wheelers, dirt bikes etc...outboards are a new territory for me. I will check out the diaphragm on the pressure reg. and again...thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• photo214663.jpg
    photo214663.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3
where is the fuel running out at?

when I try to crank it, it fires, then dies. I tilt it all the way up and it pours out of the intake I guess. Right out of the air breather in the front. it wouldnt pour out unless I tilted it up. But its a lot that comes out. Like there was a lot dumped in it. More than would take to run it. An excessive amount. Saying a cup may be pushing it but I would say at least a half cup when trying to turn it over a few times.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I tilt it all the way up and it pours out of the intake I guess.

Never guess.
look to see

Why not pull the so called breather and see where the fuel comes from when cranking?
I believe there is a line into that cover from the pressure relief or vst
Have a fire extinguisher handy anytime fuel is not staying where it should

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander
Probably the float in the VST tank is not shutting off the fuel. If it over fills, it will overflow into the intake. Has a needle and seat just like a carb complete with a float.

I have 12 hr work days today till Sunday. Will have time to tinker Sunday to go threw some of these things. Hopefully she will run. Will report findings. thanks