Yammy 3Cyl 2 stroke so much smoother than 2Cyl.

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my first 3 cylinder engine, 2 stroke. Its so much quieter than the 30hp 2cyl (value range) I had prior and the low down power is incredible. I dont feel like Im reving the neck out of it all the time like I did with the 2 cylinder.

I know not everyone can afford a 3cylinder but the power and comfort is so much nicer. Im also lead to believe more reliable.

So why did they persist with the cheap customer value type 2 cylinders? Just for market share I presume.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The motors are essentially the same displacement The main difference appears to be fuel system A single carb on the 2 cylinder and 3 carbs on the 3 cylinder.
I would think the 3 cylinder would feel smooth because of more power pulses per rpm.
I would think the low end would be stronger again from more power pulses.Of course the triple carbs should help as well.
I think logic says,assuming equal quality, the triple carbs would be more trouble as they age.

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yet they say they are more reliable. I take your theory, I guess its about spreading the displacement though so perhaps makes them more reliable. Yep the loop system vs injection is diff too i think, the loop charging supposedly increases fuel economy. It feels more like a 4 stroke but with more low down power. The hole shot is amazing in comparison. I guess they cost a lot more for a reason. I was a bit dubious at first but now Im sold.

Also the 3cyl comes with more options included than similar brand 2cyls of lower cost.

Not sure if you still get the 3cyl 2 strokes in USA?

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not think so in the USA anymore

Not sure if the old 2 stroke 2 cylinder motors came with silencer in front of the carb, but i am sure that thing helps a lot now along with the cowling

rivvy

Cadet
The 3cyl yammie is an awesome motor very torquey-will get to plane and go just as fast with four people in the boat as would with one person.However the 2cyl version is 30lbs lighter and only has one carb to clean.Sometimes with multi-carb engines one carb will foul up and run lean yet still allow motor to rev destroying one cylinder not as much of a problem with oil-injection.Having said this I would love to buy a brand new 2-stroke C30(3-cylinder)no longer available in U.S. or Canada.Often wondered if one could import one as"parts" Has anyone tried this? p.s. the 25hp M25(2-cyl,2 carb,2-stroke)is a very smooth motor although a little gutless.Yet to try a four-stroke yammie 25. Rivvy

ryan_289

Seaman
If someone can figure out how to import brand new 3 cylinder Yamaha 25/30 hp tiller handle outboards, the Arkansas duck hunters would jump all over it.

Reactions: K-2

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the 2cyl prior CV model here, but 30hp. it was loud as .....

It was more portable but the 3cyl also has hydro tilt and trim and remote on the tiller handle where a the CV models gear change is on the cowling if i remember and heavy to lift and drop even though lighter.

also the cyl is just a beast for getting on the plane instantly. Which is handy when needing to ride the swell or get out of the way etc quickly let alone kneeboarding.

I definitely wouldnt trade my 3cyl for the cheaper 2cyl but I can understand the market for the 2cyl and it definitely suits some situations.

Last edited: