Leaky Fuel Connection Fittings on my Yamaha C85

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi, all. 1995 Yamaha C85 2-stroke. I've gone through several female quick-disconnect fittings, and they always get leaky after a couple of months. I've been unable to find an OEM Yamaha part for the female fitting. I finally swapped out the male engine fitting with Yamaha OEM, and replaced the female end with a Moeller 033481-10 fitting. That was about 3 months ago. Now they're leaking again when I pressurize the bulb.

Do others have this problem? Is there anything I can to eliminate the leaking once and for all?

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 C90 fittings have thus far never leaked, but if they ever do I'll either replace them with Yamaha units or just eliminate/bypass that quick-disconnect with a section of fuel hose....I've never really used the quick disconnect so far since my motor stays on the transom all the time....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I've considered doing away with the disconnect, but I also carry a small aux. tank, so I want to be able to switch tanks if/when I need to. I'm gong to visit a local (I'm in FL right now) Yamaha dealer today and see what they have to say. Maybe it's a matter of switching to an OEM female fitting. I've been unable to find a part number for one (that part isn't listed in any of the parts diagrams) so I'll check with them.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, it's probably something to do with that O-ring seal, and best to stay with the Yamaha stuff....15 years now and I've never had a rubber or neoprene part, O-ring or gasket or fuel line or primer bulb deteriorate or quit on my motor....I think their quality is very good!...so far!....maybe I better quit talking about it!....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if the male end gets dirt or scratches /corrosion it will damage the o ring in female connector pushing it in and pulling it out

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Okay, I found the o-ring WAS chewed up. Probably my fault. I'll be more careful in the future. The male end is only a couple months old and I didn't see anything wrong with the old one when I replaced it. No scratches, burrs or rough spots. The Yamaha dealer I went to couldn't help me with the female fitting- they have connectors from approximately 1998 on. Appears there was a design change then. A friend found a connector in his toolbox that's working on the main tank, but he thinks it's from an old Johnson he owned.

By some miracle, does anyone have an OEM part number for the female fitting for my engine? I've found a couple part numbers floating around, but no indication of what motors or years they fit.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
what makes you think it is a 1995

Posting complete model #s always helps

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yam, it's a C85 TLRT - that's 1995. I'm currently using 3/8" fuel line from the primer bulb to the engine, but could swap over to 5/16" (8 mm) if somebody can find me a Yamaha part number for the correct female fitting.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
[h=1]6G1-24305-01-00 FUEL PIPE JOINT[/h] Is listed for most fuel lines up to 1993, but then only listed for smaller outboards after that.
the mail fitting seems to be listed for all size outboards from 1984 up to today
Might check to see if you can find one to see if it would fit

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is there any possibility that ethanol fuels are wearing hard of the rubber parts? Just wondering out loud! I know they give the small lawn equipment engines a fit with both fuel lines and carb kits and have to change the fuel line to ethanol proof fuel lines now.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Is there any possibility that ethanol fuels are wearing hard of the rubber parts?

No, not a chance. The fuel fitting is only a couple months old and the o-ring was chewed up. I probably just wasn't careful enough snapping it on the engine. Since I have to buy a new one anyway, I'd rather go OEM.

Yam, I'll stop back at that dealer again and see if he has one and will let me give it a shot. Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
A little lube on it would allow it to slide through the oring better maybe