2006 25 hp. 2 stroke yamaha running rich

bayou-basser

Recruit
I have a 2006 2 stroke 25 hp. Yamaha outboard that's running rich. Carbs have been rebuilt also replace fuel pump diaphrams and gaskets and reeds have been inspected. Motor is hard to start and when running at idle,the exhaust has a strong gas smell. Tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture, engine will lean spit and die but still has the strong gas smell in the exhaust. Engine has a good idle and runs great wide open. Any Ideas ?? I've been through the whole fuel system twice, even checked jets to make sure they were correct , all good. I'm open to suggestions

DangarStu

Cadet
So there are a few things that could be going on here. Are you sure the fuel smell is coming from the exhaust and not a fuel leak anywhere else? Given your checking of the jets, it is unlikely that the fuel/air mixture is rich, it may just be coming out the exhaust unburnt. This can be from bad spark or bad rings pushing the charge straight out the exhaust, but given it seems to run will those things seem unlikely. So given you said, "Engine has a good idle and runs great wide open." is the smell the only issue?

Stuart

https://www.youtube.com/user/DangarMarine

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
That new of a motor has the prime start system and no choke.
You need to make sure you have the red lever in the normal position, not the open position.
Did you check the diaphragm on the prime start when you cleaned the carbs?