yamaha 150 hpdi 2001

lazercraft

Recruit
I have got a 150hpdi 2001 outboard which has done 530 hours. It recently had new plugs at around 400 hours and has been running fine. Recently had new cables fitted, since then I have noticed that it has been a little hard to start when hot which seems unusual as it has always started cleanly. After running and being tilted up at the beach re-starting is not clean with some smoke and a faint whiff of fuel. A local mechanic mentioned oxy-sensor issues with these motors. My question is if this would be a good place to start. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Motor always will start perfectly when cold or after not being used for months.

alldodge

Staff member
I have got a 150hpdi 2001 outboard which has done 530 hours. It recently had new plugs at around 400 hours and has been running fine. Recently had new cables fitted, since then I have noticed that it has been a little hard to start when hot which seems unusual as it has always started cleanly. After running and being tilted up at the beach re-starting is not clean with some smoke and a faint whiff of fuel. A local mechanic mentioned oxy-sensor issues with these motors. My question is if this would be a good place to start. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Motor always will start perfectly when cold or after not being used for months.

:welcome: to iboats

As a non-outboard expert I don't see the oxygen sensor causing much of an issue with a hard start. The O2 sensor is more for after it starts and is running. My first thought would be the temp sensor and/or leaking injector