40hp yam, hard to pull over, rope start, normal?

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I have a 2009 40hp yamaha manual start 3cyl. Damn its hard to pull start, Im not that weak, at least I thought. When it does go the rope then flies and I stuff my wrist up. When I bought it off the dealer he made it look effortless, or at least knew some technique, and yes the engine was cold.

Is it true 40hp and up can be quite an effort to pull start?

Im told if you have good compression 40hp and up can be harder to pull than say an 8 or 15hp 2cyl?

Engine is so grunty once its going though, its like the difference low down between a 2cyl is huge, its kind of just sounds deep and powerful. Sure when I wot it gets noisey.

robert graham

Admiral
I'd say the more HP and the more cylinders then the tougher the pull....My C90 yamaha has a rope for emergency pull starts but never had the occasion to try it....but I'm sure it would be a bear especially from a cold start. Also I would expect more hours and wear on the motor could make it just a bit easier to pull start...

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess it makes sense, especially if your cyls are in good condition and you have good compression. To be honest, when it does start Im barely pulling the motor over I find it that hard, but like i said, it fires up and then the rope goes slack and I whip my wrist.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly know nothing about your particular engine, but is their an option to install a starter? If so you could buy one and install it just for starting. My neighbor has a 25HP Merc. And it isn't remote start or anything like that, but it does have an onboard electric starter and then tiller steering and controls. Just wondering if there is a place on the engine to install a starter?

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine has controls on the tiller, just not leccy start. it is prewired for looping though. so probably isnt a hard job. just cant afford it at the mo. but might be well worth it. will also mean i dont need a small rechargable onboard for depth sounder/lights etc.

still id like to know the best technique for a high compression rope start. im sure its mostly technique not brute strength.

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im finding it very hard to pull over the rope still, it feels like its in gear even though its not. On the second to 3rd pull it starts but its barely moving the rope, I mean maybe half a revolution at max. Engine was recently serviced. The difference between a 30hp 2 cylinder is chalk and cheese, I can rope start one of them with ease.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
The manual start models have a lock out to make sure it is in neutral to start, make sure that is adjusted properly

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe try pulling it over with the 3 spark plugs removed to determine if it's just engine compression that's causing it to be stiff to pull?.....with the plugs out it should spin over much more easily.....

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do I literally remove the spark plugs? Do I need to run the engine dry first, I think I have a little fuel in there from not running dry last time,

A normal car spark plug remover is all thats needed?

The dealer made it look so easy, but I literally have to put my foot against the transom and pull with my 250lb Ive reasonably fit body. Once its cranks it loosens a lot and i go flying and it starts second pull every time. First pull warm.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
ask the dealer what you are doing wrong since they can do it without a problem

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
i did, they said 3cyl a lot harder than a 2cyl, try to get rope to engage first, then pull the rope firmly. so ill try it again and practise. i think its technique.

Last edited: