Is this normal? Yamaha F115 Pump Housing

killoy

Seaman Apprentice
I am installing a new water pump kit. To my knowledge this is the original water pump from the factory. Please look at the attached pictures and tell me if the housing looks normal. It looks like someone added some two part epoxy. It seems it would obstruct the water flow. If someone has a picture of the inside of a plastic housing, please post it. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• photo213637.jpg
    photo213637.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213638.jpg
    photo213638.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213639.jpg
    photo213639.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213640.jpg
    photo213640.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Also a possibi;ity that someone ran the motor without water to the pump to lubricate the impeller and to keep the pump cool.----------Run and get a new housing and impeller !!!!

killoy

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I do not believe that it ran hot. Here is a picture of the impeller I just removed. It looks too good to have run hot. I already have a complete kit to installed. But I do not have the plastic water pump housing (part #61A-44311-01-00). I will get a new one. Just wanted to know why it looks the way it does. Has anyone else seen a housing that looked like this one.

Attachments

• photo213656.jpg
    photo213656.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Seen plenty like that. Running dry is the culprit. Replace the housing.

robert graham

Admiral
The impeller fits snugly in the stainless steel cup and running it dry even for a few moments can generate enough heat to melt that plastic piece....I've seen folks start up motors while out of the water "just to see if she'll start"...not good!......In fact, when you assemble your new pump it's not a bad idea to insert that new impeller in the cup with some temporary lubricant like dishwashing detergent....just to prevent that dry start...

killoy

Seaman Apprentice
If the impeller had been run dry or hot in the existing housing wouldn't the impeller show more signs of deterioration? I bought a new housing today. The parts guy said the previous impeller probably got replaced and the person who did the repair never even looked at the plastic housing and did not replace it. This to me is the most plausible explanation.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I agree,
some people just try to get by as cheap as they can or do not pay enough attention to what needs to be done

foxden

Seaman
I had a professional shop replace an impeller previously and the next year when I went to replace it myself, I found pieces of impeller inside the housing. These pieces weren't from the Impeller I was replacing, it was completely intact. These pieces were just never removed during the previous servicing.

This just goes to show that it is very likely the damaged housing you had was just ignored the last time the impeller on your engine was replaced.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm on the opposite end of the "get by as cheaply as they can" group. When you take into account how much effort it takes to get down to the actual water impellor on most any OB, why not replace anything and everything that could look suspicious? Parts are usually the cheap price in so many things like this. The labor is the costly part. So replace those not quite right parts and happy boating...

cps22

Cadet
I changed my pump on my 2007 Yamaha 115 and it DID NOT look like that. Yours looks melted.