115 Yamaha two stroke No ignition

Fournbr3

Recruit
Hoping to get some help...I am repairing a boat for my best friend that is going through his third round of Cancer treatment. Engine had sat for 5 yrs, rings stuck...I have overhauled engine with all new internals but I went to start, no ignition with a visual spark checker. Here is what I have done so far:

-disconnected whit wire to CDI to eliminate the kill system...still no spark
-All wires/harnesses/ground have been checked at least 10 times...
-Took ohm meter and checked trigger/pulse coils...they are not shorted to ground and the ohms are within limits perfectly....

This is where it gets better...

-When I check the stator wires the brown to blue, which according to specs should read 840-1260 ohms actually reads OPEN, with a digital multimeter, and with leads disconnected from the CDI.

-When I check the Blue to Red, specs call for 65-130 ohms but again, I get OPEN.

I do have a Oil System emergency switch ordered as the pump will not shut off, overfilling the tank and all the floats test good so

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Start off using a dva meter & work your way down starting with stator then sensors if those work then go on to power pack as you go along you will find the fault , all the best :joyous:

Fournbr3

Recruit
Thanks for the Response Durban...I ordered and just received a DVA adapter, but I don't think I'm using it correctly as the numbers I get are all fluctuating and inconsistent. The ohm readings on the stator and trigger coils are all perfectly in specs. I will call Mfr of adapter Monday to see if am using it correctly. It seems straight forward but I cant get any reading that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I can use a digital vs an analog meter. Any advice along this route? I connect leads to specified wires, while said wires are connected to CDI box, and then crank the motor over and read the voltage on DC scale. Thanks again for the help!

Gary

Fournbr3

Recruit
OK...It took a different meter than I had and I was checking the Stator the incorrect way...but after another meter came along the DVA adapter told me I had no stator problem. After that, and $382 to CDI for a new ignition module, the engine came to life and is breathing once again! Case closed for now!