2007 or 2008 Yamaha 90HP: Two Questions

Shad Rig

Recruit
First Question:
Based on the following ID Number, can anyone tell me if this is a 2007 or a 2008 year model: 6H1L-1036350

The other information I have for it is as follows:
Model 90TLR
3 Cylinder
2 Stroke
1140CC

Second Question:
Each time I go fishing, it takes me at least five or so minutes to get my engine started.
The engine turns over and over but it does not want to start.
After five or so minutes of jacking around with it, it finally starts.
After the first initial start, it runs like a champ and will not give me trouble again for the rest of the day fishing.
Has anyone else had this problem before?
Any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Shad Rig

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
is it firing up and then dieing or not firing at all on cold start?
Have you looked to make sure the red lever on prime start system is in normal position?

Shad Rig

Recruit
It is not firing up at all when I try starting it.
I do not know what the normal position really is but yes, I am using the red lever on prime.

I typically prime it all the way for one or two cranks, then I cut it back to maybe 50% after.

It will eventually start but it takes it a long time.

There is no smell of gas, like maybe I flooded it or something and after trying for a while, it will just start up.

Thanks for your help.

Shad Rig

robert graham

Admiral
That fully automatic Primestart unit must have the red lever in the "normal(automatic)" position for it to properly enrichening your starting mixture....the red lever should not require any changing of position if the unit is operating properly. Be sure to pump the primer bulb until hard to fill each carb float chamber before cranking motor. Throttle lever must be in the neutral position and the neutral throttle control lever in the down/closed position. On my C90 Yamaha I crank the motor about 2 seconds, let up for a few moments, then the motor will crank right up....maybe each motor has slightly different starting routines?.....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
full counterclockwise should be the normal(automatic fuel enrich) position
half way would be emergency open position
and full clockwise would be the off position.
Are you sure you are pulling the cowling off and turning the red lever on the prime start system?

Your owners manual will give you info on this system and proper start operation.

Should not have to do anything but turn the key to start if all is working properly

Last edited:

Shad Rig

Recruit
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.

I would look up this information up in the owners manual if I had one but that is the other issue I am having.
I do not know for sure which year model engine I have.
I believe it is a 2007 model but I am not 100% positive.....

6H1L-1036350
90TLR
3 Cylinder
2 Stroke
1140CC

robert graham

Admiral
On the Yamaha Primestart device, one position turns the enrichening device off, in which case the motor will be very hard to cold start....the other position turns the enrichening device on, in which case the motor will start but run rich due to the extended rich mixture....the normal/automatic is the right one which cold starts rich and then reduces richness as the motor warms up....It's an expanding hot wax slug very similar to an automotive thermostat....The Primestart is generally trouble free but can require cleaning/maintenance.....My 1999 Yamaha 90C Primestart has been working trouble free and maintenance free all these years.....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.

I would look up this information up in the owners manual if I had one but that is the other issue I am having.
I do not know for sure which year model engine I have.
I believe it is a 2007 model but I am not 100% positive.....

6H1L-1036350
90TLR
3 Cylinder
2 Stroke
1140CC

I cannot help which year it was produced but look up both years and see if there is any difference. I do not think it will be any difference

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/owners-manuals