2007 VMAX 225HP problem...advice/help/ input needed

MSGTUSMC89

Recruit
Up until today I have never had an issue with this motor. It fired right up when I backed it off the trailer and idled fine for about 5 minutes then died. I tried for almost an hour to try to start it. Every once in a while it would fire off but would not run for more than a few seconds. We were in a tournament so my partner and I started fishing. A couple of hours later I tried it again and it fired up, I got it on plane and it ran for a few minutes then cut out and died. It would then fire off and run for a couple of minutes then die. I tried it again an hour later and it did the same thing. As the day progressed it seemed to run a little longer before it died. We noticed that if it died if we pumped the ball it would fire right off. The ball was hard but for whatever reason it seemed to help.

I have had the motor since it was new, it is garage kept, I change filters and plugs every year. Before today it had not been ran since August.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
This sounds like a choke problem. Did you happen to catch engine temp and flapper position while this was occurring? Many times when a cold engine fires and won't idle it's because of not enough choke. If constant pumping of the throttle keeps it running, I would certainly say choke.

MSGTUSMC89

Recruit
This happened with the engine cold and at normal temp. I did not catch the flapper position. When I did get it running I had the boat on plane running in the low 50's and it would cut out and start running again about 3 or 4 times and then die. We would prime the ball and it would fire up and run and die again after running for a while. By the end of the day it seemed to run longer and longer before dying.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Your choke may not be engaging af all, flapper wide open. You could have a blockage too, how old is the fuel filter. Good news is it seems isolated to rhe fuel system.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Model# or serial#
Need to know?? They made a few different models.
This a carb or fuel injected?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
How in the world did the subject of a choke come up? The only 225 Vmax offered by Yamaha in 2007 was an HPDI. It does not have a choke mechanism. This model is fuel injected. The computer decides to provide additional fuel to the motor if and when needed.

Capt Ken

Commander
This happens when those not familiar with the engines attempt to offer suggestions. The only thing squeezing the primer bulb would do is fill the VST tank. If the primary lift pump is acting up or filters getting clogged, this might help. But don't think you are squeezing that bulb hard enough to produce the 800 psi needed for the injectors.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
My suggestion would to have the mobile version state what category the post is in. If that is not possible, I would suggest better manners and descriptions.