1 motor or 2

4x4rlm

Recruit
Going to repower my 24' proline walkaround. which would get better fuel economy 1 225hp 4stroke or two 115 4strokes?

alldodge

Staff member
Going to repower my 24' proline walkaround. which would get better fuel economy 1 225hp 4stroke or two 115 4strokes?

Each motor and prop adds drag and weight. One motor will do better then 2 smaller ones.

One another note: Now so far as safety 2 is better unless your in a storm, because one small motor will not move the boat enough to control it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i don't know the numbers but wouldn't think it would be a huge loss and as stated I would want two. And if you are in a BIG storm you wouldn't want to be going too fast anyway so the one left should get you home.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
If it's simply a question of economy, a single will be cheaper to own than twins every time. Less fuel (not a lot less, but measurably less), cheaper maintenance and repairs.

IMO, I want 2 only if I need the safety factor, or because a single engine option would be underpowered.

I would have chosen a single big motor over my twins (both in the current boat and my previous 27' Four Winns) if I'd been able to find a good one.

My .02