25hp Yamaha getting hot/ No water flow. Need Help!

HalfFast1

Recruit
I need some help/advice about a 25hp Yamaha. This past Saturday as I was running back to the ramp at WOT my motor started losing rpm?s all the way to the point it stopped. When I tried to restart it, it wouldn?t turn over ? locked up. It wouldn?t turn by electric start or by pull rope. Earlier I had noticed there was no water coming out of the ?tattle tale?, I figured it was just plugged up and I didn?t have anything to unplug it with and figured it was getting water just not coming out the ?tattle tale?. I trolled to the truck, loaded up and checked to see if the motor would turn after it had cooled off, it wouldn?t. After getting home about an hour later I pulled the cowling off and was able to turn the fly wheel by hand then it would pull and turn over by the rope and starter. I figured I would just unplug the discharge line and it would be fine ? WRONG. I disconnected all of the discharge tubing, it was clear. With it disconnected I hooked up muffs to a water hose and started the motor, it would not put out any water. I pulled the thermostat out and tried it, still no water. Figured my water pump must be fried so it pulled it down. Water pump impeller looked fine, not much if any visible wear, no nicks and seemed to have good memory. The bowl and bottom plate looked good and no blockage or debris found. I could blow air thru the discharge hose and feel it come out the pipe going from the pump to the head of the motor so no blockage there. I reinstalled the lower unit and tried it all again with the same results, no water flow with the thermostat in or out, motor in gear or out, idling or at elevated rpm?s. Has anyone ever seen this and what should I do to fix it? Could it be the water pump even though it looks ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
HalfFast!

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Have you checked the water intake end on the gearbox could possibly be blockage [plastic or some thing ] in there also check the grommet or seal on the water pump [ top end ]

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first started boating I pulled up to close to shore and sucked all kinds of dirt and sand in my yami 50 hp it filled the passages with dirt and sand. So just might want to check that it siezed the bottom cylinder. Plus thats how I learned how to rebuild a motor

Last edited: