30HP Yamaha linkages all over the place :(

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys I was just after some advice on how to put my motor back together haha it's a 30HP 2005 model (the cheaper 2 cyl 1 carb version) when I bought it the revs always felt funny at the top end so I decided to by a manual and have a go at tuning the linkages myself.. well big mistake that was currently it's all out of whack and I have no idea how to tune it properly!
I've got it ok for the most part basically I started by adjusting the throttle cable so two marks correctly aligned with the cam roller at full open/closed throttle, the carb stoppers all line up so this part all looks ok, however there's another linkage rod between the throttle arm and magneto plate (I assume advances the timing as revs increase).

Now the original reason I took it all apart is the magneto plate thing was hitting it's stopper to soon (at approx 3/4 throttle). The manual states it's supposed to hit it's end stopper at full throttle so the magneto plate is advancing too soon, but at full closed throttle the opposite stopper contacts the magneto plate correctly, just the open stopper hits far too early and I can't figure it out, because it seems the stopper has a shorter "swoop" range than the throttleband. However there's a spring loaded arm involved too it's all very confusing I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about tuning these particular motors as any tips at the moment would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Note.------Many outboards are set up so that spark advance reaches maximum before the throttle plates open up fully.----That is the nature of them.-----Do not adjust things that are not broken !!!

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ahh bugger that's not what the stupid manual says! Is there a way I can check the magneto plate is advancing at the correct pace with the throttle?

The throttle/carb links are all correct it's just the throttle arm to timing plate linkage. The more I extend it the sooner in the throttle band the plate hits the end stopper. So I'm not sure at what point in the throttleband the magneto plate meant to max out exactly I'm really hoping I don't need a timing light and test tank! The manual is a factory genuine but contradicts itself all over the place I heavily regret trusting it as the boat's now been off the water for nearly two years I'm afraid to rev the motor incase I detonate a cylinder or something. I can't seem to comprehend how the spark is meant to advance in relation to the throttle, usually on my car I just twist the distributor and pop a light on it while it's running :D

Last edited:

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Basically everything is tuned correctly with the exception of the spark adv plate to throttleband. Throttle/carb all correct it's only the linkage that connects the plate to the throttle arm. How do I figure out the length it's supposed to be adjusted to?

Last edited: