Yamaha 2011 starting issue

Janafla

Recruit
I have a 2011 F70 on a 2005 hewes Tailfisher. for the past several months i have had several episodes of not starting. After 10-20 or so turns of the key it starts right up and the next 50 or so starts no problem. When it does this, the gauges light up, all connections are good and you can hear the fuel pump at the engine. My mechanic who is yamaha cert. has replaced the key switch and the wiring harness. He does not think the problem is the starter but isn't sure what is going on and of course, when he comes to check it it starts just fine. Yes it is in neutral when this happens. He is a rather newbie-out of school only a few years and a super nice young man and I think maybe someone with more experience may have an ahah moment on this before I shell out close to 700 for a new starter. I bought the boat with motor with 10 hours on it, have put 160 on it in 16 months and have done all scheduled maint. of course, it is out of warrenty. I do a lot of solo fishing deep in the glades and yes, i have seatow but need to figure this out so I don't get stranded out there!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
do a voltage drop test while putting a load on the starting system.
Connections and the cables themselves can go bad inside where you cannot see.
Also it will show if power is getting through the starter relay/solenoid to starter if you move the voltmeters around to all points

Last edited: