2005 Yamaha 50hp TLRD

scmoose

Cadet
I noticed some build up in the throat of the top and bottom carb, and also has a low end stumble when I tried to throttle hard from an idle. So I removed, soaked, adjusted the floats because the were slightly out, then reasembled, and changed plugs. Motor starts right up, but idle seems a little rough. Compresson on each cylinder is from top to bottom, 120psi, 120psi, 118psi. Ive confirmed all three cylinders are firing. What I did discover that when I pulled the plug to do the compression check, the top plug looked as I had just pulled it out of the box and put it in. I was concerend that maybe the plug itself was bad so I connected it to the plug wire, grounded it out and bumped the motor and it is in fact firing. So I moved the plug down to the middle cylinder and ran the motor for a minuite, pulled the plug and you could tell it had been combusting. I cleaned the plug and put back in the top cylinder and ran the motor again and it looked brand new when I pulled it. Looks as if there is no combustion taking place in the top cylinder. So I pulled the drain plug on the carb and the bowl had fuel in it. Does this mean some sort of intake issue, stuck reed or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d650IbGa-D0

Here is a video that shows the buildup in the carb throats and the motor running.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It means that cylinder is not getting fuel. Every passage and jet in the carb that feeds that cylinder needs to be inspected and cleaned. Continuing to run the engine that way is asking for trouble. Why? No fuel = no lubrication.

scmoose

Cadet
Reason I questioned a reed is that this motor is oil injection. The oil is injected after the carburetor. So I would assume that oil is still getting into the cylinder, but not fuel to light the mixture off. I did not see any unburnt oil on the plug, which is why I suggested stuck intake. I may be way off base as well.

robert graham

Admiral
Just curious, but how was the motor running last time you had it in the water under load?....And what made you suspect you had a problem?....