Fogging the motor. What went wrong?

KylefromNJ

Recruit
Hi guys, I need some help here:

I was fogging the outboard. I took off the air intake cover, started the motor w water running. Let it ran for 5 mins. Pulled the fuel line off motor. Waited a little I thought the motor was sputtering, so I shot about 2 squirts of fogging oils into each intake (2 stroke). The motor died almost instantly. I know I did not spray a whole lot because I've seen guys spray much more in videos. So I worried since it didn't smoke. Reconnected the fuel line, but the motor now won't start. What did I do wrong and what should I do now? The motor always start on at most 2 cranks before, but now it looks like it almost wanted to start but dies right away.

Help!!

Bobby Ballard

Recruit
I'm not following you here. You said you took the fuel line off motor and you thought it started sputtering. It was running out of fuel so it would sputter, right? Maybe you should pull the spark plugs and wash the ends in gasoline and try that. The fogging oil may have fouled the plugs and don't ever spray starting fluid into a gasoline engine. Use a gasoline soaked rag over the intake and hold onto it so it will not suck up into the intake.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome, Kyle. Can you tell us what motor you are fogging? The crystal ball is foggy. Did you follow a fogging procedure on Youtube or the method in your manual?

KylefromNJ

Recruit
you guys are life savers. I took everyone's advise and did the following:

1) add more stabil
2) took out plugs and clean them in case of fouling
3) crank it longer

It finally started. I then slowly sprayed fogging oil into each intake, it smoked, died. Then I started it again and repeated. when it died again I turned off switch.

Then I removed plugs, sprayed oil into each cylinder while turning the flywheel by hand. put plugs back in.

Now here are more newbie questions:

1) should I leave the spark plugs wires plugged in?
2) should I leave the fuel line plugged in? I was thinking of getting rid of the old gas.

Yes I watched many youtube videos and forum posts. Which was while I disconnected the fuel line because someone suggested it, but it turned out I can do it w/o disconnecting too.

Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
One more thing to do....drain each carb...should be a brass hex head bolt/drain plug on side/ bottom of carb float chamber....put a rag under carb to catch fuel and the drain plug if/when you drop it....

KylefromNJ

Recruit
I want to do that but there are like 8 diff hex bolts on the side of the carbs, and I have no idea while one it is...

robert graham

Admiral
The drain plug/bolt will be brass...about a 10 MM....mine also has a slot in the hex for a screwdriver....