Yamaha 28A (28HP) Serial 664

syster.rees

Recruit
First of all i would like to apologice for my english and bad spelling since im from sweden and english isnt my main language.

I bought a old yamaha 28hp engine from 1978 and its leaking in the lower unit, i changed impeller and saw that there are som corrosion dmg inside the unit. but other than that it was all good until i were checking the gearhouse oil and it were white and milky. I belive i have to change the oil seals under the water house and inside the propeler shaft. BUT my problem is i have a hard time finding these spare parts so i really need some guidence.

Serial numbers would be (oil seal under water house) 93101-26073 AND 93101-20068

Best regards Martin Rees

robert graham

Admiral
Water can enter the lower unit gearbox through bad seals on the driveshaft, prop shaft or shifter shaft....or faulty drain plug or vent plug washer(one washer under each screw)....it would be ideal to identify which is leaking by running a pressure test on your lower unit to see....but if that test is unavailable try removing prop to visually inspect the prop shaft seal.....

syster.rees

Recruit
i will try a pressure test. what more than a compressor do i need? is it a special instrument to connect on the compressor? Best regards.

robert graham

Admiral
A boat shop/dealer can run the test for you, interpret the results and recommend the seals requiring replacement....

raczekp1

Lieutenant
i did seal change in lower unit from Yama 28 hp.
easy job, you need 4 seals.2 under pump
2 at prop side