2013 Yamaha F6 winterization procedure

ebb222

Recruit
2013 Yamaha F6 winterization procedure

new outboard owner here and I'm following the owner's manual for winterization and storage. It says to add Yamaha fuel conditioner & stabilizer to gas and run in a tank of fresh water. I did that but used Sta-Bil. Then remove fogging hole cap and spray the Yamaha brand fogging oil into the fogging hole of the silencer (I used the Sta-Bil brand fogging oil). "When done properly, the engine will smoke excessively and stop". Well, the engine did stop the second I sprayed the fogging oil but the engine didn't smoke at all, just cut off.

So couple questions, was the fogging done correctly, did anything get to the cylinder? Would the Yamaha product work differently?
This method doesn't run the carburetor dry, I was always told to turn the gas knob off and let the engine run out. I guess the stabilizer negates that?
Also, the outboard will be stored in a heated basement so I'm also wondering what sort of winterization protocol is really necessary.

So any help will be appreciated. Newbie here trying to do right for my investment. Thanks for any help

robert graham

Admiral
Drain carb and spray fogging oil into spark plug hole....turn over motor a few times to distribute oil on cylinder walls, piston rings and grooves....heated basement sounds very nice for motor storage....you should be good to go!...

robert graham

Admiral
You're smart to take very good care of your motor....preventive maintenance is a LOT cheaper and less trouble than repairs and I've found that if you really stay on top of your maintenance these motors will give you good service for decades.....