DF70 in SAFE-MODE

prattvan

Cadet
Greetings

I'm new to posting on the forum, but not new to forum. I have been reading and searching here for about a month. Great forum guys !!

Now to my problem. I have a 1999 DF70 TLX. It's operating in safe mode. I purchased it used about a month ago from a dealer in Baton Rouge.

It beeps about every 7 seconds, but no "check engine" light.

So for I have done the following:
*Removed the exhaust manifold (to check water ports)
*Replaced the thermostat
*Replaced the pressure relief valve
*Changed the water pump(with kit)
*Removed the intake manifold to get to the VST, cleaned the little screen under the fuel pump
*Changed the low pressure fuel filter
*Removed and cleaned the High Pressure fuel filter
*Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body

After doing these, connected engine to Suzuki diagnostic software and get one item:
Failed item: Fuel injector
Countermeasure: Check injector, connector and harness.

The plug that connects the the injector reads 6.53 volts with key in "ON" position.
Each injector reads 13.9 ohms resistance.

Any and all help will be appreciated guys.

clanton

Rear Admiral
I would be checking all of the wire harness connections to the engine computer. Diagnostic software may be out of date.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
I would find another dealer because the dealer that is giving you that diagnostic information does not have a clue.

Do ALL the lights on the multifunction tachometer come on when you turn the key on?

Does the alarm sound with just the key on, or only while the engine is running?

prattvan

Cadet
I would find another dealer because the dealer that is giving you that diagnostic information does not have a clue.

Do ALL the lights on the multifunction tachometer come on when you turn the key on?

lakensea

Thanks for replying. Yes, all the lights on the tach come on when I turn the key on. And the alarm sounds only with engine running.

P.S. I posted at THE HULL TRUTH with even more details. It's titled "Suzuki ECM or other ??"

prattvan

Cadet
I guess I could post it here also............so here goes.

Ok, here goes. I love reading what you guys have to say. I've been reading on this forum (not posting) for about 4-5 weeks.
Awesome forum !!
I have a 1999 Suzuki DF70. It's stuck in "Safe-Mode" and seems to be a bad ECM. But I would like expert advice.

HISTORY

I had the motor checked out by a Suzuki dealer after I bought the motor about 6 weeks ago. They told me it was a good motor, but gave some crazy readings when they hooked it to the Suzuki diagnostic software. They thought it was just their laptop or Suzuki software glitch, because he never encountered that before. ( I have attached the printout. Look for attachment) I took it out on the water about a week later, and long story short, it's in safe-mode (won't go over 3500 rpm). I have a "beep" every 7 seconds, but no warning lights or flashing codes on Suzuki tach monitor.
The engine starts fine, takes less than 2 seconds. The engine idles fine. Runs perfect till you hit 3500 rpm.
The Suzuki diagnostic states "Fuel Injector-check injectors,wires, and harness"
I checked resistance on injectors and I have 14.3ohms on all 4. I checked voltage(with key on) and have 6.53 volts on all 4. I checked continuity from injector electrical connector to connector at ECM and i have continuity.
I checked injectors with NOID light with engine running, and no problems.
I checked fuel pressure, and i I have 41psi
I did a test by starting engine and pulling plug off injector while it's running, and engine either stumbled or died.

Work i have done and parts I've changed so far.
-Checked compression. 198-201 on all 4.
-Removed the exhaust manifold to check water passages
-Changed thermostat housing, thermostat, and gasket
-Changed pressure relief valve and gasket
-Removed intake manifold to get to VST. Removed fuel pump and cleaned screen/filter
-Changed intake to throttle body gasket
-Changed low pressure fuel filter
-Removed high pressure because I was told it would probably be full of gunk. Nothing but clear fuel came out. Cleaned & installed.
-Changed oil pressure switch
-Changed fuel injectors
-Checked operation of neutral switch and continuity to ECM.
-Tested main relay for ECM

Now the crazy part. Look at the printout in the attachments. Some interesting unexplainables......

Caution 1 states Low oil pressure. The cylinder temperature when this was recorded is -58 degrees F. Impossible
AND the intake air temp was 129 degrees F........ Impossible

Look at caution 2. States Overheat gradient
Failure time 10h
Elapse of time 9346 min........... Impossible

Caution 3. States overheat temperature
Failure time 10h
Elapse of time 12092 min....... That's 201 hours !!

Total operation hours 10h. On a 1999 motor ?

Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited:

prattvan

Cadet

Any ideas ??

I value your experience