Hard starting when warm/after hard run

86'Stratos

Recruit
In reference to this linked topic,http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...choke-1986-suzuki-dt-150-when-you-push-key-in
I feel as if I bought your boat lol. I just purchased an older boat with a 86' dt150 on it. Had the engine serviced and to say the least it cost a pretty penny as it needed a bunch of things. Now it starts fine in the morning. I'll run it open for a while to my spot and shut her down and troll. Then trying to get her restarted is impossible practically. Takes forever and sometime won't start.. As I'm new to the boat. Is it operator error or can you guys possibly steer me in the right direction as to what causes this problem. Doesn't happen every time. Sometimes starts right up but more times then I care to happen it doesn't start.

Last edited by a moderator:

niceoldgrady

Cadet
On my Yamaha 200 ETXD it will do this. If I run medium to hard down the Stono River to the ocean and stop for a walk on the beach it will not want to start. Last time this happened just out of curiosity I choked the motor and it started right up. No idea why. It does not normally do this. Only after a long run perhaps 30 minutes. Last time after the choke and start no issues and off we went again.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
86', Have you tried to choke yours when it won't start? If an engine starts only with choke that indicated the mixture is lean. Could be too much air or not enough gas. May need an idle screw adjustment.

86'Stratos

Recruit
I took it out today. Started fine. Ran great. Trolled a bit. Then started back up just fine. Did that three times. Then after tried to start it again and nothing. Tried choking. Priming ball again. Nothing would start it. Then I tilted the engine almost out of the water and boom. Started right up. Then I trimmed it back down. Strange!! I'm no mechanic. But I'd love to correct this. It's almost as if it's flooding then with the engine tilted it clears the carbs or something. Or the exact opposite. I do have to lift the throttle most times after it starts to keep her going till she warms up.. What do ya think. Idle screw? Perhaps it's the choke. Or the choke solenoid?