Winterizing Outboard Question

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 15hp Suzuki 4 stroke motor. I know what it takes to winterize my I/O motor on my big boat but what needs to be done to my Suzuki to ensure its safe for winter? Thanks everyone for any helpful ideas!

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Outboard motors are "self Draining" so when you tilt them down all of the water will run out. You may want to bump the starter a few time (don't start the motor) to turn over the impeller enough to dispel any water trapped in there.

Other than that fuel treatment and fogging, changing the oil with winterization is debatable but Suzuki probably recommends every 100 hours.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
what Brian said.............drive oil needs to be changed, Im assuming you have 90wt drive oil in there,, especially if water has contaminated gear oil,, (which can happen often enough) dont want any freeze expansion issues........store it verticle.....

pckeen

Commander
Personally, when I winterize my four stroke, I: change the crankcase oil and replace oil filter; change the lower unit oil; fog the cylinders; change the fuel filter; run fuel stabilizer through the tank and into the engine...plus a few more things specific to my motor. Basically - everything the manual reccomends.

Last edited: