Will a yamaha 4 stroke sink me

alluvium

Recruit
I have a 17 ft aqua sport. I believe the actual model is an osprey. Original dry weight is around 1850 lbs. I'm not the original owner and it's had improvements/modifications done and refurbished before I bought it. It came with a 100 hp mariner, 1988 on it. I know... It actually ran great until just a few months ago. Blew the lower unit and ended up scrapping it. I have never been able to find the specs for the mariner so I'm not sure exactly what it weighed. But it was heavy, just not sure how heavy. I grew up with yamahas, so I decided to switch my controls and harness. That's all done. If I had it my way I would put a 90 2- stroke on it, but as I'm sure you know they are not easy to come by. So I'm set on a 4 stroke. 4 strokes I have found to be a lil tricky. The specs on a 90 are almost identical to a 115, weight wise. I'm guessing that's why I can find used 115s but no 90s? I live in the Virgin Islands, so that also makes it tricky. I've tried the Florida thing before, don't want to do that again. I have found a used 115 here for a decent price. Only question is, will it be too heavy? Of course the guy wanting to sell it to me thinks It'll be just fine, but I'm not so sure. Does anybody out the have any advice or tips? Thanks in advance

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
326lbs for a '92. '87-'93 same manual? That's just a quick net search. Looks like the F115 is 377lbs.

pckeen

Commander
You should be fine - just check your transom and make sure it is solid. I did a similar switch (different boat - 68 Starcraft Holiday with a early 70s 115 Johnson, to a 90hp nearly new Yamaha four stroke - the new motor added about 150 lbs). It wasn't a problem at all.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My info indicates a 88 100 is 342 lbs. a 2000 115 is 401. I think thats 59 lbs I don't think a 1800 lb boat will notice.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced a Johnson 115 with a Yamaha 90 four stroke on a 1990 Sea Pro CC , did not notice any difference in the way the boat set in the water. Lost a couple of mph, but picked up way better gas mileage for the way I boat. Better running engine too. I think you will be fine.