Yamaha F115 2001 will not run past 3000-3200 rpms, no stalling or hesitation.

tomboarderns

Recruit
I just bought a 2001 hurricane GS 188 with a 2001 yamaha 115 fourstroke. The owner told me that at some point they hit a rock and damaged the prop. After replacing the prop they found that they could not go over 5mph and it will not plane out. I took it for a ride and it is true that it will not plane, but the motor will not run past 3000 rpm. I also checked the prop and it is the correct size and pitch. I have no idea if the prop damage has anything to do with it or not.

The motor has 170 hours on it and starts right up, idles great, has zero hesitation. When I do try to open the throttle it goes right up to 3000 rpms and just stays there. Doesn't hesitate and will stay there as long as I keep it. Could it just be a remote throttle issue or a throttle adjustment issue? Possibly a sensor? I realize it could still be a fuel related issue, but what is baffling me is that everyone says there will be a hesitation and stutter or stall when trying to go to WOT.

I have not had a chance to check compression yet, and will be doing that soon.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I just bought a 2001 hurricane GS 188 with a 2001 yamaha 115 fourstroke.
I also checked the prop and it is the correct size and pitch.
I have not had a chance to check compression yet, and will be doing that soon.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

You bought a rig that did not run right, and the owner knew it did not run right, and now you are asking us what is wrong with it?
Strange as we have no idea if it ever ran right with what prop it had or what prop is has now.

if it was an easy fix you would think he would have fixed it and got good money for it .
But you may have paid high but should have not done that

tomboarderns

Recruit
It has the same size and pitch prop as what came stock on a 2001 gs 188 with a yamaha f115. I am assuming that the manufacturer would put a prop on that works with the boat. I only talked about the prop just to give as much information as possible. I paid very little for the boat. Some people love boating but cannot afford a perfect boat. I am familiar with the 115 two strokes but never had a 115 four stroke.

I was only asking for suggestions as to what to start looking at. It seems that it is a fuel issue, but why I am confused is that it is not starving for fuel at wot and instead runs great. I thought maybe there could be a sensor that went bad that is keeping it in safe mode or something.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
The Yamaha factory does not send motors out with any prop on it
Someone decides what to put on it when rigging the boat. you have not given any info on what prop came off after hittin a rock and damaging it or what prop was put back on.

I do not know of any way to damage a sensor by hitting a rock with the prop.
Might damage the lower unit, prop shaft, drive shaft, or flywheel key

start with the basics
leakdown test, spark, timing, and fuel pressures

junkyardwarrior

Seaman Apprentice
EFI motor or carb? (don't remember when they went to EFI on the F115's). If EFI, your description points to a failing/failed fuel pump, injectors, and/or fuel filter inside the VST.

Carb motor-check the timing belt, flywheel key first. Based on your description. We still don't know if it ran properly before it was damaged.

Could be a TON of things and you need to either start checking the obvious stuff or pay someone to do it for you.

killoy

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a boat with a 2005 F115 engine with only 60 hours. I had been run very little in the past several years. It responded a similar way when I tried to run it the first time. I would idle fine and rev up on the trailer. When I tried the water test it would not plane and started skipping and then again idled fine. Turned out to be a dirty VST Filter. Prop may be a non issue if the boat sat for some time before you bought it, especially if it was using ethanol fuel. Please post when you find out what yours turns out to be. Good Luck.