Yamaha C85 TLRT/1995 - Tilt Stuck In UP Position

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Raised the motor this morning and it rose very slowly. Once it was fully tilted I pulled the fluid fill plug. It took a few drops but hardly anything at all. Now it won't lower. The motor runs fine in both directions (up and down) but zero movement in the T&T. My Yamaha shop manual has nothing about the subject. Any ideas?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Okay, I'm part way there. Was able to loosen the manual release screw and lower the motor. After I raised it back up manually I mistakenly pulled a screw that's low down on the bracket and a ton of fluid gushed out. Put that back, and now I'm at the stage of refilling/bleeding the whole system via the reservoir.

Can anyone tell me the proper method, from scratch, of refilling and bleeding the hydraulics? My system has a hex bolt fill plug on the reservoir, which is located on the right (starboard) side of the transom bracket. I can access the fill plug on the reservoir with the motor either up or down, so where do I start (motor up or down?), and what's the procedure?

Thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just to wrap up, I found a fill and bleed procedure in an old thread that sounded right...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...from-trim-tilt

* Loosen the relief valve and lift the motor up.
* Lock it in place
* Close the relief valve
* Open the fill port and add fluid
* Close the fill port and finger tighten it.
* Release the lock , loosen the relief valve, and let the engine drop (air and some fluid may be pushed out of the fill valve)
* Let the motor rest for 5 minutes to allow all the air bubbles to
dissipate.
* May have to repeat 3 or 4 times to get all of the air out. Basically, when you can't get any more fluid in the fill port you should be good to go.
* (each time you lift the motor fluid gets sucked up into the
cylinder, when you drop it air gets pushed out)

After following the instructions to the letter twice, raising and lowering the motor manually, I used the PT&T to lower and raise the motor 2 more times. On pulling the plug the fourth time, aerated (frothy) fluid came out the fill hole. I put the plug back in (a little loose so air can escape) and lowered the motor again. I'm gonna let it sit for awhile, let the air bubbles disperse, then raise it and pull the plug once more. Looks like I'm about finished, tho- the motor is going up and down smoothly.

For filling the reservoir, I'm using a small trigger-type oiling can. Works perfectly. The fluid goes where you aim it instead of all over the place.

My .02

Last edited: