Suzuki 65DT motor stalling problem

Finn-Jerry

Recruit
Hi. I have 65DT motor 1985 model. I just bought it and ran it about 2km and slowed to U-turn. When I opened the throtle again the motor stalled and died. I got it running agin but it limped like an old lady badly walking. After fishing a while, the motor started normally but died again after 1km. I now have new plugs and I emptied and cleaned the petrol tank and filter. Next I'll try some engine cleaner in the fuel to clean the burnt carbon deposits away.
Something else I should do / know about? The boat is now ready for winter storage but I can still work on it before next spring.... please post your reply.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Need to test alarm system to see if it is working, maybe you are going into a RPM reduction mode but buzzer is not sounding.

Need to test to see what condition the motor is in
compression, spark, timing , and fuel pressure/vacuum.

Then if all of that is good, while the problem shows up see if spark and timing are still there and in spec
If all is good then you are left with fuel to air ratio into the cylinders

Finn-Jerry

Recruit
thanks for your reply. Not quite sure what you mean by 'alarm system'. I have a beep when the motor is first started from cold and on re-start after stalling. Do you mean this beep? If so, it doesn't sound during stalling but it does on re-start.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I believe on the Zukes there is a low oil level, low oil pressure, water level switch in block , and overheat that will bring in the alarm
and put motor into RPM reduction mode.
These things should show up on gauges also to indicate what the problem is.
Test some of them to see if the buzzer comes in and indicates on gauges.
This should eliminate some of the things if alarm sounds when testing

make sure your tank vent is allowing air in when pulling fuel out, maybe fuel pump cannot suck fuel if the vent does not vent

Last edited: