Yamaha Outboards: 4 stroke 70hp vs. 2 stroke 90 hp

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is perfectly suited for the 90 two stroke. It's a 15 foot scooter with a tunnel bottom made to run skinny. Mine is powered with a 115 Johnson which is considerably overpowered, but holds okay. I'm looking to go lighter weight for a shallower drifting and hole shot.
A boat builder friend of mine heard that the 70 four stroke has almost the "balls" of the 90, due to increased torque, but with better fuel economy. Of interest to me is the lightness of the 70, only 255 lbs, vs my 115's 335 +/-.
He built a boat like mine that was powered with the 70 and was impressed with its performance. I know how well they run with the 90 and I wasn't there for the sea-trial, so I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion or heard anything along these lines.

robert graham

Admiral
A 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke could be more power than you need on a 15 ft. boat....seems like a 70HP 2 stroke might be the best power/weight mixture.....

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

That may be the case, but I'm really curious if anyone has any idea how the Yamaha 70hp four strokes stacks up against the 90 two stroke. Very similar weight between the two.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks 99, pretty interesting reading. Looking into the 70 today to see if the dealer can give me a good enough deal to give it a go.