Yamaha 200 cuts out

Bobcat9957

Recruit
Hi everyone, new to the site and outboard ownership. I recently purchased a boat with a 2002, 200 Yamaha, 2 cycle, fuel/oil injected motor. All gauges and control are also Yamaha. The boat will sit and idle all day and run to 2000 rpm then stays there. Seems like a regulator of some type is not letting it run over 2k. All gauges are showing no issues. Took temp readings all over with meter and nothing over 150 degrees so I don't see heat as an issue. Oil is full and gas is about half. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you need to test the alarm system to see if it is working properly

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like its in limp mode.Is the alarm going off?.If not is it disconnected....

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
My guess for model number of motor Z200TXRA? Fuel restriction? Clogged filters??(vst filter,canister filter on side and fuel water sep)

Bobcat9957

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. Picked up filters and plugs to be replaced. Just wanted to get it in the water last weekend to try it out and wanted to get some ideas where to start. No audible alarm sounding. I assume I should get a "beep" or something when I turn on the key which I do not. I will also have to look into that. Thank you all again.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
With a single Yam there is no alarm when the key is turned on. To check the warning horn pull the kill switch. Then crank the motor by turning the key to the start position. The alarm should sound.

Bobcat9957

Recruit
Thank you again for the replies. N1NE1 was on with the fuel issue. She was loaded up with water. Got it siphoned out and she ran excellent. To bad it is time to winterize.