2003 Yamaha VX200TLRB VMAX. can run at 3600 rpms fine, try to get 4000 rpms dies.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
It seems like its losing fuel pressure. Had it at the boat ramp last night. it can run at 3000, 3600 rpms no problem. but as soon as i try to get 4500 rpms it stumbles once or twice and dies. checked last night still have voltage to ECM. still have voltage and a good ground to VST. After it dies i turn the key off then on to see if i hear the the pump come on and nothing, i have to smack the vst to get the hi- pressure pump to come back on. I would think bad pump but its only at a high rpm that it does this. I know the ECM is good. not sure what direction to go. If the injectors were dirty would it cause this. any ideas or suggestions would help.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some more on Yamaha VX200TLRB 2003
Problems found so far.

6 months ago

Harness at motor. 12 volt supply was giving intermittent 12 volts to ECM. fixed.

High pressure fuel pump Replace and VST cleaned. Ran good for a month.

then motor wouldn't start replaced ECM and ran it better than ever.

now its cutting out and it dies at 4000 RPMs and over. once it dies i turn key off and back on motor wont start and fuel pump doesn't come on. Slap the VST with hand turn key on again and hear the vst pump come on. Starts right up.I suspect the wiring harness because i already had issues with the 12 volt supply to the VST before. But the fact that it dies at the 4000 RPMs or higher is confusing. Good clean fuel

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I am think its a wiring issue. the cutting of is now at any rpm range. I had a issue with the 12 volt supply shutting down before. I was getting 12 volts up the harness plug at the engine but nothing after that.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Check the harness.
The connectors are made of metal and when you supply electricity to the metal and add moisture they can corrode.
Just changed an oil level sending unit.
The connectors were so bad it's a wonder the motor ran at all.

kmswiber

Recruit

Good afternoon everyone. Hall832, did you ever find out the issue? I sent a private message. I just started having a similar (if not identical) problem. I have an '03 VX200TLRB. Thanks in advance.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes all done. Saved another 2 stroke. Both wiring harnesses and new key switch. He had this problem since he bought the boat. He has burned out three HP Fuel pumps. Before I ever worked on it. Very frustrating. But finally victory. I see him out fishing at least once a week.