Tach not working, please help!

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Dt115 and I can't figure out what this module is. It is located inside the motor electrical box and sits in the far upper right corner right next to the Oil level control module. It is almost exactly the same shape as the oil control module and hangs from an eylet on it's top (just like the oil level
Control module). It has a Yellow with black wire, a yellow wire, a black ground, and a grey wire. This module is not shown in the OEM manual, on ********** diagram, or on any of my wiring diagrams. I have seen many being sold on eBay under the wrong title of oiil warning module and rectifier.

Here is my problem. My tach doesn't work. I have checked the voltage regulator/rectifier as well as the stand alone rectifier and they seem O.K. If I connect the sending wire downstream (towards the gauge- how it was wired with stock harness) of this module my tach doesn't work. If I run the sending wire ahead of it ( between it and the rectifiers) it works. Was this something that was added as A recall item to these motors. Although it looks professionally done, it appears the grey wire was spliced in. On the wiring diagram (without this part) it shows the Yellow with black wire plugging into the y connector with the solid yellows. Can I just omit this box wire as per the diagram and be on my merry way?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited: