2002 Yamaha 90 TLRA hard to shift/throttle

rtfletcher

Cadet
My 90 TLRA throttle lever is stiff to engage and accelerate. Other than being stiff it shifts and runs fine. I originally began troubleshooting it as a possible throttle cable problem. I disconnected the throttle cable from the powerhead and it was still stiff. Next I disconnected the shift cable and the throttle lever worked fine. So now I know the problem is with the shifter cable. I disconnected the cable from the control box and the cable moves freely. Now I know the cable is fine. Next I removed the gear box and the throttle still works fine, letting me know the problem is somehow related to the gear case. The splined shifter that sticks out from the gear case seems to work fine, shifting from f-n-r when turned by hand. I have replaced the water pump impeller in the past and it is quite probable that something didn't go back together properly. I was thinking that maybe if one of the splines was burred that maybe the shifter and shift rod wouldn't go back together completely causing it to bind up or maybe if the splines were off by one or two it may cause this. Any one ever had this happen or know what to look for? Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Most motors have a distinct "clunk" when put in gear, forward or reverse....maybe yours just "clunks" a bit more than some?....maybe drain/check lower unit lubricant for water/corrosion/problems?....

rtfletcher

Cadet
I had a few minutes in between rain showers to look at it today. I confirmed that unassembled the control lever works easily on its own and the shift rod going into the gear case is easy to turn into gear on its own. Put it all back together and hard to use the control lever. I separated it again and once again all works fine apart. It started raining again but it would seem to reason that something is not allowing the shift tube and shift rod to slide all the way together applying upward pressure (binding) making it hard to shift.

robert graham

Admiral
Like I said, maybe drain/check/refill lower unit lubricant....if water got in there through bad seal it could set up corrosion(especially salt water!).....and it could get pretty stiff....