Nice, now what ?????? :(

repodude

Cadet
So I called every swinging Suzuki "authorized" dealer within a 25 mile radius (quite a few here in the Tampa Bay area) and either was laughed at or told only work/service 4 strokes.. So, I call Suzuki themselves on the 866#. Of course the call center guy gives me all the names on the Suzuki website (DUH) so I ask this guy, what am I supposed to do to get my 88 dt85 worked on ???? "all dealers are independent and hire the techs they want" again, DUH !!! So what's a guy supposed to do? Most facilities down here are $95 hr and don't want to sink a wad of cash on my 88. I know someone has "tricked" or "looped" the ICM to think the freaking motor has oil and oil pressure even though the oiling system has been removed !!! Can't a man enjoy WOT on his dt85 ????

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I am a Yamaha guy. However, what applies to Yam applies to Suzuki's.

Once a motor has been modified from the original configuration then you can't expect a Suzuki mechanic to work on it. Unless you want to pay him $95 an hour, for God only knows how many hours, to learn the modified system. Which most won't want to do. I wouldn't.

I seriously doubt that whomever modified the motor documented the modification. Based on a lack of data who wants to work on a bastardized model?

Call independent shops in your area. Maybe they can help you with your problem.

Or, get a Suzuki service manual for your motor. Try and learn the original system. Then, try and figure out the modifications that have been done. Then try and figure out what is wrong. You might be on your own.

repodude

Cadet
Understood and concur...sort of.... I don't need a compression check, coils checked, etc... I know what the issue is (well, pretty sure :) ). The spark interrupt is activating at approx. 2000rpm. With the oiling components removed/missing this leads me to this conclusion. Yes, I could fish the days away at 1/2 throttle, but NO>>>>>> I want WOT !!! lol As for the dealers, there was NO mention of it being (as you stated) "Bastardized", they just don't work on old models whether it's do to training or the fear of the NASTY SALTWATER FROZEN BOLTS. Again, NOT looking for free, but NOT looking to help someone retire doing un needed checks.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
unless you have proven this with a timing light, you are just guessing about limp mode. You may only have plugged up carbs. If you keep running like this, you may have even more problems.....

repodude

Cadet
schematic, YES...static timing set as well as dynamic. I asked a particular question for a reason. I honestly don't think the mods and readers want me to do a point by point thesis of what I have done to lead me to where I am and why I am asking the question.
As I do greatly appreciate your question, it in no way, shape or form answered mine.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Do as Boscoe99 said and look at the manual to see how the switches operate to figure out how to bypass them.

I believe Schematic was getting at some Yamaha motors retard the timing to reduce/limit the RPM in safe mode, so maybe your motor does also.
manual should give that info too

repodude

Cadet
FIXED !!!! took some trial and error while under power, but found the right wires to loop !!!! W.O.T. yaaaaaaa. I still find it hard to believe that someone here has not had some type of experience with this issue over the years (I am sure they have, just like reading other peoples struggles).

Since there was NO real help given, feel free to close the thread.

99yam40, thank you for the pointing in the diagram direction :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I think (but am not sure) Suzuki just like Yamaha has gear driven oil pump.
Make sure the gear was removed when disabling the oil injection system ,
as there will not be any oil to lube it and it will destroy the crank along with the oil pump gear

Some motors inject oil in places that may not get lube when disabling the injection system,
so most of us do not like doing this to a motor if it was designed to have the oil injection

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Is it possible that no one knew the answer for lack if information? So, as a preemptive gesture of generosity, why not share how it was hooked up, what you changed, and document it for all to see in the future. Could help some poor soul in the future...

Thanks.

Blaine

I like karma - cause I can treat people bad - knowing that they must have done something to deserve it! :bolt:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Is it possible that no one knew the answer for lack if information? So, as a preemptive gesture of generosity, why not share how it was hooked up, what you changed, and document it for all to see in the future. Could help some poor soul in the future...

Thanks.

Blaine

I like karma - cause I can treat people bad - knowing that they must have done something to deserve it! :bolt:

I for one won't help poor souls do stupid stuff. Like disable the automatic oil injection system on an outboard motor. But, I will help them fix it.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
The fix it part is what I was referring to. Most people don't need help doing stupid stuff. I know I sure don't. :D

Blaine

chackett

Seaman
I hope repodude will come back and update us on the fix. I am troubleshooting a similar engine and would love to learn about his fix .. maybe it will get me thinking / working in the right direction.