90hp yami lower unit removal HELP !!!!

stvincnt

Recruit
I'min the process of replacing my impeller on my 02 90hp Yamaha but i cant get the lower unit off. I've taken bot bolts out at zinc/skeg location and all four around the body. I've been prying at the front in the pry slot and the seam is separated but it still feels like something is attached inside. I've reviewed a few how-to's and I'm still wondering if I need to detach something else, Linkage etc. Thanks in advance

Mark oz

Recruit
There is nothing else to undo,you just have to keep working at it,more than likely the driveshaft is sticking inside the crankshaft through lack of lubrication

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe put those 4 side bolts back on and start/run the motor(on the muffs) until warm....maybe the heat/vibration of the motor running loosens up those drive shaft splines?....My motor is a 1999 Yamaha 90C similar to yours and those 5 bolts should be all that's holding it.....of course there's always those shifter shaft splines, but hopefully they wouldn't stick that much....good luck!...

X5oh

Cadet
Just a thought, replace the 4 side bolts just firm, attach the muff and start engine and make sure area is clear and cycle shifting fwd,reverse several times the shut down and try again. I just removed my 2003 -90. Had to tilt slightly then used a (Rubber) mallet to tap around the perimeter of the joint then repeated moderate taps with the rubber mallet downward evenly around the perimeter. Once it lets loose raise the tilt to allow the unit to clear, hold on when it breaks loose cause it's moderately heavy and will quickly drop out. Not sure if this will help, but worth a try, corrosion is the culpert. If it was used primarily in salt water your gonna have a job, fresh water is bad enough. Think about checking or renewing the impeller annually it'll make disassembly easier. Just a thought.